Largest cartridge you suppress/won’t suppress?

squeeeeze

I have a 28Nosler heavy hunting rifle shooting a mild load with 195's just over 3,000fps with a Terminator T3 brake and is a pussycat for recoil. Threaded my Thunderbeast Ultra 9 on and kicks like a mule now suppressed vs. braked. What's your biggest cartridge and grain bullet where you run a brake instead of suppressed to handle recoil?

I've been running suppressors on most of my firearms for a few years now and enjoy the sound reduction and decreased recoil (vs, non braked). Very mild recoil on my 7WSM shooting 180's at just over 3000fps.

Last edited:
I'm running a Gemtec one on my Tikka T3 altralight, man did it cut down the reciol on this unit!
thumbnail_IMG_0807.jpg

My hunting partner is running a Thunderbeast altra 9 on his 300wm, the rifle didnt kick that bad befor but is down right pleasant with the altra 9 on it.
Ya they add length and a little weight out there but worth it!
thumbnail_IMG_0941.jpg

If I used the 338 Edge more it would get a suppressor too but just cant justify it right now.

The Thunderbeast have a muzzle brake that is threaded on the outside and the suppressor threads right over that. This is the setup I have with what they call a compact brake but doesn't help with recoil mitigation unfortunately.

I have a 28Nosler heavy hunting rifle shooting a mild load with 195's just over 3,000fps with a Terminator T3 brake and is a pussycat for recoil. Threaded my Thunderbeast Ultra 9 on and kicks like a mule now suppressed vs. braked. What's your biggest cartridge and grain bullet where you run a brake instead of suppressed to handle recoil?

I've been running suppressors on most of my firearms for a few years now and enjoy the sound reduction and decreased recoil (vs, non braked). Very mild recoil on my 7WSM shooting 180's at just over 3000fps.

Agreed! An effective muzzle brake reduces felt recoil/muzzle rise better than a suppressor.

I have an Eliteiron Bravo SD rated up to .300 RUM/.30-378 WBTY that I can screw onto my .30 LARA, .300 WM, .300 WSM, 270 AI, .264 WM, 6.5 CM, and 257 WBTY with excellent recoil and noise level reduction.

I have a TBAC Ultra 338. It does reduce recoil on my 300 WM vs. no brake. The Area419 Hellfire Match reduces recoil a whole lot more. The hellfire also significantly reduces muzzle rise and keeps me on target vs. shooting with the TBAC attached. Rifle barrel is heavy sporter contour. I imagine rifle weight, barrel weight, and other factors play into how a rifle reacts.

The TBAC Ultra 338 brake (just brake, no suppressor) that came with the suppressor didn't provide anywhere near the recoil reduction as the Area419. I've converted the suppressor to the Area419 mount system. I highly recommend that conversion.

I think I'd prefer a brake vs the suppressor for anything bigger than 300 Win unless rifle was heavier.

The added length sucks. Been thinking a LRKM or a DesertTech SRS would make it usable (for hunting).

Last edited:
300WM with a silencerco brake quick mount. Big as my can is rated for. Works great with slightly more recoil than a Muzzle Brakes N More 5 port. I love the suppressor for hunting I just don't want to give up the barrel length or carry around a 35" barrel with a pound and a half hanging off the end.

Last edited:
Email Silencerco so you have it in writing but I inquired about adding an Omega 300 to a .300 WBY and they said I could with a minimum barrel length of 24". Some of the more potent cartridges, greater than a .300 WM, can be used with the Omega, but they will tell you what the restrictions are.

Email Silencerco so you have it in writing but I inquired about adding an Omega 300 to a .300 WBY and they said I could with a minimum barrel length of 24". Some of the more potent cartridges, greater than a .300 WM, can be used with the Omega, but they will tell you what the restrictions are.
Thanks, good to know!
Like I said before, I learn something everyday on this forum!
Happy New Year

338 Lapua is about the largest cartridge that will comfortably suppress. I can shoot a 338 suppressed all day, but had a .375 cheytac improved and suppressed that thing kicked way too hard. With its break it was fine but muzzle blast was substantial.