Large Magnum rifle primers for .308 ??

Billy7

Hi guys,

My Brownells order arrived and I accidentally ordered the wrong primers.

Got Federal Large Magnum Rifle Primers (#215) instead of the regular-large.

First time reloader here - Can I still use the magnum primers for .308 loads w/Hogden Varget powder?

I think so provided you back down a bit and work up your load.

It probably won't help your best accuracy though.

-- richard

Hi guys,

My Brownells order arrived and I accidentally ordered the wrong primers.

Got Federal Large Magnum Rifle Primers (#215) instead of the regular-large.

First time reloader here - Can I still use the magnum primers for .308 loads w/Hogden Varget powder?

I would not recomend it because the hot primers are not nessary and a total load change will
be nessary.

I would use or sell the 215s and stay with the standard Large rifle primers you are using now
for the 308.

It is not unusual for standard deviations to go up and velocities to go down with this combination
(308 and Magnum primers + faster burning powders).

Stay with what you have developed for your 308.

J E CUSTOM

your load will change the magnum primers making it hotter and it would be wise to work up your load again, however my load for my AR-10 is 44.7gr of varget 175SMK and a Fed 215 primer

I know a handful of gents in this area (WY) who use CCI-250's in 22-250's. I know its overkill,:D but it hasn't hurt anything either. If you already have them, give them a shot while working up a new load. If they don't work, sell them. If they do, roll on. They will be hotter than the 210's you intended to order, so make sure you reduce your starting load.

I use mag primers in a standard rifle all the time. As others have said you will need to re-work your load when you switch primers, especially a hotter one. I like 'em for hard to light powders and compressed loads, and the fact that they are the ones that go on sale locally.

Good rule of thumb is if you're loading over 70 grs. of powder, very slow burning powder or ball powder you probably need a magnum primer. Otherwise stick with the regular primers.

As you are starting from scratch it is no big deal. Work up your loads as normal and it will work out. Not perfect but it will not be terrible. Might get some higher spreads and such but nothing crazy. Buy some W760 or Big Game ball powder and you will need those 215's. In the end you will have a load for varget and 215's and when the next primer shortage comes and 215's and Varget are the only thing you can find you will be set.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts