Lapua Brass question

Greg Duerr

Is see that Lapua offers 30-06 brass.............................what would happen to that brass if you ran the 06 brass into a 280 or a 6.5-06 dies? Would that ruin the performance of the brass ? That extra brass has to go some place would in change the uniformity of a wall thinkness and remove the quality of the brass?

G

Greg,

Simple answer here; then you'd have 280 or 6,5-06 brass. Nothing magical here, just straight-forward case reforming. As with any reforming operation, you'll have to watch (that means check, and double check) your neck wall thickness, the possible development of donuts, case length after reforming . . . the usual stuff. I'd recommend using an intermediate step (at least one) for the 6,5-06, that is, necking them to 280, and then again down to 6.5. As a general rule, I prefer to neck up, rather than down. The vast majority of my own 6,5-06 cases were reformed from 25-06 brass, simply necking it up a few thou. The Lapua cases are definately a higher quality than the 25-06 cases I used as parents/donors, but hey, I was on a much tighter budget at that time.

I coulda swore that both the .270 Win and .280 Rem were both .30-03 derivatives, and thus best formed from each other, and not .30-06 brass (due to the tiny difference in neck length).

I reform Lapua 30-06 cases into 25-06 Rem and 270 Win calibers. Case life and accuracy are both excellent. I neck turn the 25-06 cases but probably don't need to as a single pass through my 25-06 F/L die takes my necks from 0.0145 to 0.016" thick, which translates to loaded round case neck diameter of 0.289, which works perfectly in my 0.292 chamber. All you then need to do is trim to length and deburr and chamfer.

I have done it alot and the only real issue is case length after reforming, it will be short until you fire it several times. I have even used 270 brass for the 6.5/06 but you must trim the cases before resizing as the 270 brass OAL is longer than all the others. There is a "button" you can buy to insert into a shorten case to determine your chambers exact case length which really is a must so you can trim to 5-10 thousandths shorter.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.