Lapua Brass question

texan79

I just got 100 pcs of 308 brass. Is this stuff load and go, or do I need to run it throught the sizing die? seems to be in spec as far as I can tell.lightbulb

There are usually some dents in the necks so I resize it, trim it, deburr flash holes ( even though they probably dont need it) square the primer pockets and chamfer the necks. Then you have a set of great brass that is all identical.

JMO

Jeff

Last edited:
It is truely great brass. I bought 100 peices of 6.5-284 brass and all I did was neck size and load. I have started on the 3rd reload and all I'm having to use is my Redding Neck Size die. Nothing else so far. JohnnyK.

I agree.....great brass. I have 100 in 338 Lapua AI. Everything within specs for me. I cleaned flash holes and found this to be unnessicary as well as any primer pocket work

i chamfer and load. i do not do anything to the flash holes. several benchrest tests have shown it to actually make it less uniform

Texan79,

We recommend running new cases through a neck sizing die or over a mandrel just to eliminate any of the slight dings that can (and often do) occur during shipping. You may want to chamfer as well, but it's not required, and according to testing done by AMU on Lapua brass, actually increased scuffing of the bullet's bearing surface during seating. As far as the primer pockets, no, nothing at all to be done there, other than stick in a primer. You're good to go!

The biggest 'problem' with virgin Lapua brass is that the necks need opened up... not so much due to dents/dings (those do happen, but I've never seen Lapua brass all snaggle-tooth lookin' like a certain other brand that comes in plastic baggies...) but because the neck size is way too small - even if you don't damage something (over pressure) the initial firing will be nothing like successive firings where the reloader exerts some control over the neck tension. Run them over a neck-turner mandrel, or through a collet die or a F/L die with the expander ball left in.

YMMV,

Monte

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.