Lapping a crown

muledeer01

Hello, I was out shooting my flintlock last week, shot fairly decent but could have been better probably more me then then rifle. It's somewhere are 30 years old, thousands of rounds thru it. As I cleaned it I noticed the crown has a few small dings , I was wondering if there was a easy way to just lap it gently to smooth it up a bit. Though about getting some 600 grit paper and wet sanding it with thumb pressure

Hello, I was out shooting my flintlock last week, shot fairly decent but could have been better probably more me then then rifle. It's somewhere are 30 years old, thousands of rounds thru it. As I cleaned it I noticed the crown has a few small dings , I was wondering if there was a easy way to just lap it gently to smooth it up a bit. Though about getting some 600 grit paper and wet sanding it with thumb pressure

A large ball bearing or a big marble plus valve grinding compound is the way to go. Sandpaper and your thumb will be a disaster! Don't do that.

Yep, With some cartridge firing rifles I have turned shot gun shooting pattern rifles into tack driver shooting rifles by simply using a BRASS round head bolt larger than the diameter of the bore and valve grinding compound in a variable speed drill. Put the rifle in a vice and RUN THE DRILL SLOW AND CHECK OFTEN BY CLEANING THE COMPOUND OFF. It usually does not take much to accomplish cutting a new crown.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.