Bang a gong

ENCORE

It started out this morning outstanding for a shooting day. Luke sent me my SST's and the trial Barnes 290's. I knurled 5 of them and planned on shooting those 5 and 5 smooth.

I got to the range and there was a couple guys shooting centerfires. They told me to go hang my targets as they were taking a break. I stapled two targets at 200yds and went back. We got to shooting the bull, then one of them asked me what I was shooting. When I told him a muzzleloader, they both gave me the "hairy eyeball". I asked them what was up with all the wind, as it was now blowing like crazy. My luck, they told me that it was completely calm until 8:30 then it went south. I walked back to get the gear and I knew they thought I was most likely nuts and probably shouldn't even own a firearm.
icon_lol.gif

After getting all the gear at a bench, I brought out the Ultimate and I could see that everyone had their eyes on that rifle. I loaded it up and before firing, suggested that they make sure they had their hearing protection on. I sent that fouler. They came over wanting to look over the rifle and ask more questions. They were getting ready for a CF elk hunt in CO. The more we shot the breeze, I decided it wasn't a good day to try grouping with the Barnes.

Then one of the guys asked me, "Hey, do you see that orange gong down there a 300m? Can you hit that gong that far with that muzzleloader?"
evil.gif

I loaded the rifle back up, turned the turret to 325yds, then sent a round. As the smoke was coming back at me, I couldn't see crap but heard it hit the gong. One of them was watching through his spotting scope and seen it hit. He jumped up, threw his hat on the ground, walked around in circles a couple times and said, "Had I not seen that with my own eyes, I would have never believed it".

15mph sustained 360 degrees to bench, 24mph gusts

ENCORE,

Help me out here. New to ML. Going for distance.:)

Which powder are you using with the 300/290 class bullets. Primer?

Knurled? How is that done. What is knurled. Sabot or bullet?

Is a fouler a must?

What about swabbing between shots?

I'm shooting an Austin and Halleck. Supposed to be a nice gun but the bore is far from top cabin in my observation.

110 gr T7 fffg 250 SST/Sabot in a 50 cal. Clean bore shot 2000 FPS. Second shot after 1 Windex patch went 1992.

Shots were ~4" apart @ 100.

These were my 5th and 6th shots out of the thing.

My goal is to put a cold bore shot on that gong at 400.

If the rifle I use for hunting will consistently shoot to point of aim on a clean bore i'll set the sights according to where the first shot goes and be done with it but if not you have to shoot a fouler to get it to shoot where you aim.

ENCORE,

Help me out here. New to ML. Going for distance.:)
Which powder are you using with the 300/290 class bullets. Primer?
Knurled? How is that done. What is knurled. Sabot or bullet?
Is a fouler a must?
What about swabbing between shots?
I'm shooting an Austin and Halleck. Supposed to be a nice gun but the bore is far from top cabin in my observation.
110 gr T7 fffg 250 SST/Sabot in a 50 cal. Clean bore shot 2000 FPS. Second shot after 1 Windex patch went 1992.
Shots were ~4" apart @ 100.
These were my 5th and 6th shots out of the thing.
My goal is to put a cold bore shot on that gong at 400.

I have zero experience or knowledge about your AH, so someone with knowledge of that rifle would be way more help than I can be. Some of the guys over on the modern muzzleloader site most likely do though...

I learned about knurling from the smokeless shooters. They use it for shooting sabotless, but knurling can help with some saboted bullets. As my rifle shoots a .452" the best, if I knurl a .452" bullet enough, the intent is to slightly increase its size in the sabot and possibly giving better groups. Knurling is done by laying one course file on a bench, placing a bullet on it and then using another course file and pressure, rolling the bullet between the files. This is also my first attempt at knurling bullets, as with my production rifles it was never necessary. So this a new process to me too.

Because my Ultimate is a custom build and much different than other rifles, many things are different. It is capable of much heavier charges than most rifles. That said, my rifle shoots 3 triple seven MAGNUM pellets (180grs). It is ignited by a .45 Winchester Magnum brass case, primed with a large rifle magnum primer. I'm shooting the 300gr SST at 2,350fps. Shooting T7 requires swabbing between every shot.

With the custom Ultimate, all the work has been completed before you purchase the rifle by Ultimate Firearms. The Leupold VX6 scope I had Ken mount, has the custom turret for that specific load and rifle. Zero the rifle at 200yds, set the turret and from that point, just turn the dial. I'm impressed with the custom turret and is the first I've owned.

ENCORE,

Thanks a ton!

I get the knurling. Something I would/will try if needed.

I use the shotgun primer, Federal when the wind is in your face a fella wants to wear a bas mask especially if the wind is slow.:D

Great guy to deal with. He built me a couple Rem/PAC smokeless MLs earlier this year. 1 for me 1 for my dad. I haven't had much time to play with mine yet but it already shoots better than any ML I've ever shot.

Great guy to deal with. He built me a couple Rem/PAC smokeless MLs earlier this year. 1 for me 1 for my dad. I haven't had much time to play with mine yet but it already shoots better than any ML I've ever shot.

I still have a quote from both Luke and Bill. I chose the Ultimate Firearms rifle, as smokeless is illegal here. I don't think you can buy bulk bullets anywhere cheaper than from Luke.

Gotcha, I don't think they're legal in PA either but we have a hunting camp in south western Iowa and north central Missouri to use it at.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.