Ladder test results

View attachment 148135 I am new to long range shooting and reloading. I am currently trying to find the best load using a ladder test method. I have read numerous forums as to how to go about it but need all the experts to chime in and tell me if I'm on the right track.
I shoot a Rem 700 long range 300 WM with a 24" 1x10" Proof barrel, H1000, Nosler Accubond LR 190 grain bullets. I tried a ladder test at 400 yds (max our range has) but the mirage was bad enough I couldn't see the holes, and there was enough shooting going on besides me, I just couldn't go down after every shot, so I just got done with a 300 yard test. Here is a picture of the test. I started at 75.4 with .2 grain increments up to 77.2 I know everyone says to look for the vertical shots placements as well as the speed closeness as they should be together. What does everyone think?
View attachment 148135 I am new to long range shooting and reloading. I am currently trying to find the best load using a ladder test method. I have read numerous forums as to how to go about it but need all the experts to chime in and tell me if I'm on the right track.
I shoot a Rem 700 long range 300 WM with a 24" 1x10" Proof barrel, H1000, Nosler Accubond LR 190 grain bullets. I tried a ladder test at 400 yds (max our range has) but the mirage was bad enough I couldn't see the holes, and there was enough shooting going on besides me, I just couldn't go down after every shot, so I just got done with a 300 yard test. Here is a picture of the test. I started at 75.4 with .2 grain increments up to 77.2 I know everyone says to look for the vertical shots placements as well as the speed closeness as they should be together. What does everyone think?
Well, from the pic of your target I would load 5 rounds each from your 1-6-8 loads. Shoot this at a 100 yard target. I have to worn you, you need to be very patience with that 300 WM cause it heats up your barrel very quickly. Weight a few minutes between shots so that your barrel stays cool to the touch. You seam to be on the right track. Keep me informed and I'll help you with all I can. Good luck.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.