Ladder Test Question

coues7

I've gotten everything loaded up to do a ladder test and wanted to get some input before I proceed. I'm shooting a GAP 300WM 1:10 twist 26" Bartlein Barrel using 190gr SMK's. I've loaded up 10 rounds of each of the following loads using RL22:

72.2gr
72.5gr
72.8gr
73.0gr
73.2gr
73.4gr
73.6gr

I'm using Redding Type-s bushing dies with the 0.335 bushing. My reasoning was two 5 shot groups to verify each load. Have I loaded to much? Am I headed in the right direction?

Thanks,

Scott

I wouldn't put more than 2 rounds of each into a target for the ladder. Shoot at
at least 200 yards and mark each shot on a piece of paper after each shot. When you
see the accuracy nodes test them with a regular 5 round test . I shoot a little different
test that I like better.
You have seven loads, set up seven targets. Shoot a round of each load into each
target and then proceed round robin with the next four rounds of each cooling the
barrel between rounds. It gives you
a picture of what the rounds do with the barrel heat the same for each shot. I still
check the load when I have chosen it with 2 targets five consecutive shots in each.

While your looking for acuracy, don't forget to watch the pressure signs, etc.

I knew better, was doing a similar ladder type test. Got excited about the acuracy, and locked up the gun. ARs are hard to unlock!

The way I have always done ladder tests is one round per load shooting at a huge paper and making shots on a target next to me so I know what each shot is. I test at 400 yds. You will see the differnt nodes as the barrel whips and at the top of the whip you should have a group. Then take each of the groups and retest those rounds in smaller increments till you get another group. With that you should be really close to your load. After that you can mess with the seating depth to fine tune group. Should be able to find load in 15-25 rds.

The way I have always done ladder tests is one round per load shooting at a huge paper and making shots on a target next to me so I know what each shot is.

That is the Audette Ladder Test I know also; I usually find my load within 10 shots. The attraction of the Audette Ladder Test is that multiple cartridges in each charge weight aren't needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.