ladder test question.

Sasquatch

I have been using .7 grain increments when I do my ladder testing to work up a load. I fire 2 five slow shot groups and use the powder load that gives me best accuracy without going over pressure. Is this a good method or should I change the charge increments to smaller/ bigger? Other ideas would be appreciated as well.

I plan on getting a 300 RUM or a 7mm RUMwith the o.t. this summer and would appreciate the more experienced people's help in developing a load for which ever one I buy.

Sasquatch I know very little about the ladder test but abinok explained it very well on a thread of his here .
He will more than likely respond with some help for you on this.

On another note if you get a 7 RUM I have loads for almost every bullet 140 grain and up and will be more than happy to share them with you.

I just tried the test for myself for the first time. I tried .4gns the first time and then the second time i tried .2gns and got much better results. I had to go out to 400yds to finally see the pattern. This was with my 257 STW. It does work though. You can develope a basic load in about 30rnds. Abinok was the one that got me tryin it too.

For most cartridges .7 increments will put you in and out of a sweetspot in 2 shots.
I did .2 increments in a relatively small range (42.0-44.0, 260Rem) at 320 yards. It worked quite well.

Yep, .7gr is a big step for sure. Ive got a file that explains the process of shooting a ladder test that is relatively coherent if you'd like a copy. Its a pdf flie so its small enough to send on my sloooooow dialup connection with pictures. I can't post it but I can email it. If you'd like it let me know.

Drop me a copy of it abinok if you don't mind. I would like to try it myself. Email is in my profile.
Thanks!

thanks a lot!!! This will save me a little bruisin' later in the summer. might even try it out on the old '06.

Sasquatch

When doing a Ladder test or any other form of load development you can use the 1% rule.In a case such as the 6BR which fires approximately 30 grains of powder you would work with 0.3 grain increments.On a case such as a 300 Ackley which runs 80 grains of powder you would use 0.8 gr increments.
Once your load window is found you can lower the increments to 0.1 grain to find best accuracy.
The load window on a 6BR case typical for 600-1000 yard competition is 0.7 grains wide.The load window on a typical 300 Ackley used for 600-1000 yard shooting is 2.5 grains wide.
Your best accuracy will usually be found above the halfway point in your load window and this will also produce the lowest extreme spreads.
Lynn

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.