Labradar Testing

Bryan did a test and write up on them. IIRC he liked them enough to become a dealer.

I'd go the magneto route except that I'd like to set up on the mountain for multiple shooters and shots without having to change setups and worry about impact shifts, if there are any....

I agree, magentospeed has changed impact on every rifle i have tried. For that reason i Have one of the labs preordered. By nice to shoot longrange and collect valuable data. Jmo

Update

Shot some more with the Labradar yesterday and think I have the .22 cal issue figured out.

All the .224 bullets I've been testing so far have been Full Metal Jackets; cheap fodder I use for instrumentation testing like this. If you recall what the base of an FMJ bullet looks like, it's not really flat, but more concave or dished. Radar needs a flat surface to 'bounce' off of and be reflected back.

Yesterday I tried some conventional 69 grain BTHP bullets and the Labradar was able to track them. It had trouble tracking with my big Oehler chrono in the way, but when I moved that and gave the Labradar a clear view, it tracked every shot. Although the velocities could not be directly verified with another chrono, were the same as the Oehler was reading before it was moved.

Sorry for the misleading info on 22 cal initially; that's how it goes with 'preliminary' testing; you're getting it hot off the presses.

After numerous range sessions, I can say the Labradar is a very accurate unit capable of tracking most bullets we care about. As long as your bullet has at least some flat area at the base, it should track fine. Not too many precision shooters handloading FMJ's, and it's even possible that the developers will push a firmware update to fix the issue in the near future.

As the first of it's kind tech (for recreational shooters), I'd say the Labradar has succeeded in meeting it's lofty expectations which I'm very happy to see. The more accurate chronographs that are available, the more accurate trajectory prediction gets and the fewer complaints I get about my BC's and ballistic apps being 'wrong' :)

-Bryan

I took the Labradar to a rifle match in North Carolina last week. Some F-Open shooters were trying it out during a team match.

One question was if it could pick up rifles on both sides (left and right). In a team match format, a coach usually sits in between two shooters who are laying about 3 feet apart. For this test, the coach placed the Labradar in front of himself and it was able to read the shots on either side, but did not trigger on shots coming from other competitors who were on adjacent firing points about 10 feet on either side of the 'intended' shooters.

There was no accuracy comparison of the data, but the shooters noted that the measured velocities were just as they expected.

-Bryan

was able to read the shots on either side, but did not trigger on shots coming from other competitors who were on adjacent firing points about 10 feet on either side of the 'intended' shooters.

Bryan, that's great news. Thanks for the report.

Do you recall what number you had the trigger sensitivity set on?

I think it was 2 or 3. I wasn't present for the actual shooting (I was coaching my own team) but I told the guy if it wasn't triggering enough, or triggering too much (on other shooters) that he could adjust the trigger sensitivity. He didn't have to with it set on level 2 or 3.

-Bryan

I took the Labradar to a rifle match in North Carolina last week. Some F-Open shooters were trying it out during a team match.

One question was if it could pick up rifles on both sides (left and right). In a team match format, a coach usually sits in between two shooters who are laying about 3 feet apart. For this test, the coach placed the Labradar in front of himself and it was able to read the shots on either side, but did not trigger on shots coming from other competitors who were on adjacent firing points about 10 feet on either side of the 'intended' shooters.

There was no accuracy comparison of the data, but the shooters noted that the measured velocities were just as they expected.

-Bryan

Any further updates?

This is a very old thread. For the record:

The small caliber issue and the sdjacent shooter issue were both resolved many months ago.