Knowing what you know now, which cartridge?

Which pre 1980's cartridge for long range hunting.

• 264 win mag

Votes: 60 23.5%
  • 7mm rem mag

Votes: 112 43.9%
  • 280 Remington

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • 300 win mag

Votes: 107 42.0%
  • 25-06

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • 257 weatherby

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • 270 win

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • 7mm weatherby

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • 300 weatherby

Votes: 40 15.7%
  • Other pre 1980s 6.5 cartridges, Swiss, Jap,etc..

Votes: 12 4.7%

• Total voters
This poll is automatically invalid because the 30-06 isn't included.

I have a subjective bias against anything 7mm or 270, because almost every douche I ever ran into at the range or the gun counter had one.

The 7mm Rem and the 270 Win were the 6.5 Creed of their day.

Sorry to hear you have such a tough time with the guys at the range who shoot those two specific cartridges... Hopefully you might be able to evaluate the cartridge for it's performance rather than judging the cartridge by the person who is shooting it.

.270 has taken the majority of animals I have shot. Only 1 has ran from me, and it wasn't more than 20 yards.
Last year I thought about giving up the .270 for a 7 Rem. Mag, but dove in to the ballistics between the two. They were so similar that I wouldn't have gained enough in performance to outweigh the headache of re-gearing for a different cartridge. Not to mention the increase in powder vs the .270.

I too would like to own multiple different calibers and configurations. I think it would be a lot of fun to compare and contrast, tinker, load and adjust them all for nothing more than to learn what these calibers are all capable of being. However, funding is a major factor. So I guess I'm pretty simple in the choosing of calibers. I have my .270 for the deer, the .300wm for anything bigger or further than 5-600yds, and my .22lr for inexpensive trigger time.

It's not just the Sherman series of cartridges that everyone toots about, it's basically everyone tooting about what cartridge/cartridges they like. Whether it be a prc, nosler, win mag, rem mag, weatherby or a Sherman.
1st, I love wildcats, and I appreciate what the "Shermans" have to offer. If I was not interested in his product (ideas) I would not have visited his site. If you keep in line with the original format of the thread the Shermans are in a completely separate category, as are all wildcats or modern long range bullets specific cartridges .
Was the purpose of the Thread to plug the Sherman Cartridges? Because we could have saved the trouble of commenting on the older retail Cartridges listed in the original Poll. There were no wildcats listed in the Poll. I voted for the 7RM for two reasons: I can buy a box at any store and I happen to own one. The same can be said for a whole gaggle of offerings. I'm not the Internet Police, I just didn't see how that comment fit in with the rest of the thread.

1st, I love wildcats, and I appreciate what the "Shermans" have to offer. If I was not interested in his product (ideas) I would not have visited his site. If you keep in line with the original format of the thread the Shermans are in a completely separate category, as are all wildcats or modern long range bullets specific cartridges .
Was the purpose of the Thread to plug the Sherman Cartridges? Because we could have saved the trouble of commenting on the older retail Cartridges listed in the original Poll. There were no wildcats listed in the Poll. I voted for the 7RM for two reasons: I can buy a box at any store and I happen to own one. The same can be said for a whole gaggle of offerings. I'm not the Internet Police, I just didn't see how that comment fit in with the rest of the thread.
It was a reply to jrocks comment " why use 80s technology when you can use 2020". My only purpose to my response was to say that if a fellow was so concerned about having every advancement available and wanted absolutely all the bells and whistles of what was currently offered in design, then he would go straight to a Sherman cartridge, because they do offer all of those things to the people who claim that they want the most advanced cartridge. So, yes his comment and my response dragged the thread away from it's intended purpose. We're in a culture today that is saturated with " mine is better than yours" mentality. I'm sure we are all guilty of that way of thinking. I personally have a mix of rifles chambered in old and recently released cartridges. I enjoy all of those rifles. I've said it many times here: I don't hate any cartridge or anyone's rifle. I'm very open minded with new cartridges and old cartridges. Forgive me if that post came across with implications of any bias for or against any cartridge or what abilities someone has with their own personal gear cause I didn't intend it to be that way.

When I see a rifle chambered Sherman cartridge, I see it like a car buff would see a 2020 zr1 Corvette.
When I see a rifle chambered 264 win mag, I see it like a car buff would see a 1970 cuda.

What's not to be appreciated about both of those? I just happen to be a bolt action rifle enthusist.

Sorry to hear you have such a tough time with the guys at the range who shoot those two specific cartridges... Hopefully you might be able to evaluate the cartridge for it's performance rather than judging the cartridge by the person who is shooting it.
My post was intended to be somewhat tongue in cheek, though my experience is real.

When I was growing up, the same stupid claims were being made for .270 and 7mm Rem that are being made by 6.5 Creed fan boys now. (e.g. I shot that buck at 500 YARDS with my 7mmMag, and all I had to do was hold the top of his back!!)

The truth is, they are good cartridges. They just do nothing unique. They do nothing that the 30-06 (heinously excluded from this poll) or the 300WM don't do. There is nothing magic about a bore size.

Powder makes power. Within a fairly narrow range of calibers, cartridges are matched to the game, and to the distance primarily by the amount of powder they burn.

Assuming equal bullet availability, the difference between the 6.5's to the 30's is so small for a given size case as to be inconsequential.

My post was intended to be somewhat tongue in cheek, though my experience is real.

When I was growing up, the same stupid claims were being made for .270 and 7mm Rem that are being made by 6.5 Creed fan boys now. (e.g. I shot that buck at 500 YARDS with my 7mmMag, and all I had to do was hold the top of his back!!)

The truth is, they are good cartridges. They just do nothing unique. They do nothing that the 30-06 (heinously excluded from this poll) or the 300WM don't do. There is nothing magic about a bore size.

Powder makes power. Within a fairly narrow range of calibers, cartridges are matched to the game, and to the distance primarily by the amount of powder they burn.

Assuming equal bullet availability, the difference between the 6.5's to the 30's is so small for a given size case as to be inconsequential.
Wish I could have had more choices. I was limited to 10. 30-06 would have been a choice along with at least 4 other cartridges.

I was wondering if it was intended that way... I wish the sarcasm button was active on here! Good to know though, thanks.

I can understand exactly what you're saying now that you've explained. I know a few guys that think they are a good shot because of their cartridge choice. They'll rave about how amazing the 6.5CM is, but the scoff when I mention the .260Rem. I have to give a little credit though to the 6.5CM; it shoots just as well while using slightly less powder. It does make me realize that caliber popularity has much to do with marketing and hype
*Disclaimer* I enjoy shooting the 6.5CM as well.

Agreed on the 30-06 vs .270. The advantage I think the 30-06 has over the .270 is the availability for heavier bullets. The .308 family has so many different types and weights to choose from, there's no wonder as to why they are so popular.

It's not just the Sherman series of cartridges that everyone toots about, it's basically everyone tooting about what cartridge/cartridges they like. Whether it be a prc, nosler, win mag, rem mag, weatherby or a Sherman.

Phoeniceltic I am trying to understand your point of view? Are you "upset" that shooters come to an open forum and freely talk about cartridges they like or want to learn more about??? Do you feel they should go someplace else? Where would that be exactly? have you taken the moment to seriously digest what you've been writing?

Are you the senior moderator at you house and no is allowed to discuss anything unless you approve it? My gosh are you a Liberal and these cartridges upset your PC cartridge chart bahahaha I can't believe you even wrote some of what you did honestly I am LMAO

Phoeniceltic I am trying to understand your point of view? Are you "upset" that shooters come to an open forum and freely talk about cartridges they like or want to learn more about??? Do you feel they should go someplace else? Where would that be exactly? have you taken the moment to seriously digest what you've been writing?

Are you the senior moderator at you house and no is allowed to discuss anything unless you approve it? My gosh are you a Liberal and these cartridges upset your PC cartridge chart bahahaha I can't believe you even wrote some of what you did honestly I am LMAO
Sorry if I offended you MAD10, I guess I owe the world an Apology.

Sorry if I offended you MAD10, I guess I owe the world an Apology.
We all get caught up in what we think is the best and what works for us. Some cartridges That I used to have a bad opinion of now seems more appealing to me in some ways. I guess we all can get emotionality invested into our methods & favorite cartridges, LOL.
No worries.

Given I could use current technology(ie brakes, high BC bullets, twist rate, etc), I'd stay with my 300WM for large game, and the 264WM would replace my favored 6.5x284 for medium game. Under these circumstances very little, f anything would be much different in terms of desired capability, and what I have had success with for over the last decade or more. IMO, scope and rangefinder technology advances have been far more relevant to long range success cartridge since the 80's.

Last edited:
We all get caught up in what we think is the best and what works for us. Some cartridges That I used to have a bad opinion of now seems more appealing to me in some ways. I guess we all can get emotionality invested into our methods & favorite cartridges, LOL.
No worries.
I don't have a bad opinion on Shermans Products. I also stated I can appreciate that he makes New Brass available, which is a definite plus. I never attacked Elcoholic or his products, I even went so far as to praise his pricing. You stated they were the most advanced state of the art blah blah blah without a shred of data to support it. You also pointed out I took your comment out of context. So, indeed this thread has me contemplating, if "knowing what you know now" would I have stated the constant plug for Sherman Cartridges is Nauseating? I think all this drama has me ready to buy a 6.5-Creedmoor. (I have personally texted with Rich on several occasions, and he's a first rate guy, I don't need anyone to tell me so)

I don't have a bad opinion on Shermans Products. I also stated I can appreciate that he makes New Brass available, which is a definite plus. I never attacked Elcoholic or his products, I even went so far as to praise his pricing. You stated they were the most advanced state of the art blah blah blah without a shred of data to support it. You also pointed out I took your comment out of context. So, indeed this thread has me contemplating, if "knowing what you know now" would I have stated the constant plug for Sherman Cartridges is Nauseating? I think all this drama has me ready to buy a 6.5-Creedmoor. (I have personally texted with Rich on several occasions, and he's a first rate guy, I don't need anyone to tell me so)
I'm willing to let all of this die if you are. I wish you the best with all of your endeavors. You have a grievance with my comment that the Sherman's we're cutting edge without data to back it up. My only data is the observations of data by users here who have used those cartridges & field tested them along with case dimensions. I feel that the field reports posted here on LRH have validity. What I stated was an opinion. Again, I Know that my opinion which I stated was your complaint. Along with it being out of context with the thread topic. Again, my highest of Apologies. What more can I do?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.