Kirby's craftsmanship pics

goodgrouper

Kirby\'s craftsmanship pics

Just thought I'd give a little plug here for one of our resident gunsmiths. This is a beauty that Kirby just finished.

It is a 6.5-.284 on a Rem xr-100 action. Lilja 4groove barrel and Holland QD brake. Stock is Rem factory laminate TH. Rifle basix trigger and Holland lug. Sako extractor installed. Scope is a Leup 8.5-25x50 LRT with fine duplex reticle. Rings are Burris sigs with inserts on a Ken Farrell one piece extended base. THis gun would be dang hard to mount up without this base!

Good work Kirby. I will feel bad getting her dirty!
nicegun.jpg

nicegun2.jpg

Re: Kirby\'s craftsmanship pics

Beautiful!
What caliber did it begin life as?
I bought a XR-100 last year in 22.250 and have yet to shoot it. Work has been crazy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
If I ever get time to shoot the barrel out of it, I may have to ship it off to Kirby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks for putting up the pics Grouper.

I think she turned out pretty good as is normal with Kirbys work. Thanks Kirby !!!

Just starting the break-in and she already cleans like a dream. I'll get the break-in finished early tomorrow before it hits 104*. Can't wait to see how she shoots!!!--7mmRHB-

Matt G. thanks, It was a 22-250 last nov., Unfired till kirby did the honors last week. Should be a fun gun for the owner(he's never even seen it yet)--7mmRHB--

7mmRHB:

Looks like another typical APS creation. I'd bet that somebody is gonna be real happy when he gets his hands on this one. Let us know how it shoots after break in.

Thanks ss7mm,

you're right about the guy going to be happy since this is his first custom gun. The break-in was a snap to finish this morning, one shot and clean for nine times. No blue after shot # 4. Started at 6am and done at 8am. The last three shots went into 3/8ths inch so the thing should shoot with good ammo.---RHB---

Is the Ken Farrell base just extended? no moa ?

I have a xr that will get a longrange barrel someday.
Looks great _Mike

Ol' Mike the base is a 20MOA base. Uncle B. found the base for me at Ken Farrell's. It had to be made by modifying an XP 100 base, by adding the 4th mounting hole. Ken did this and shipped the same day. Thanks Ken and Uncle B.--7mmRHB--

Thanks for the plug.

She was a bit of an adventure to get finished but she turned out very well and looks like it will be a hell of a shooter.

Thanks for your patients guys and let me know how she shoots with her preferred loads. I suspect 1/4 moa may well be in danger with this rifle.

Kirby Allen(50)

Now that sure makes me feel good. I sent my rifle up north to Kirby after reading all the comments from the other members and after seeing the time and quality he puts into his writings. The few guns I have seen so far are awesome. I can hardley wait to post pictures of mine. But then again, whats more important, shooting pictures or ...?

[ QUOTE ]
Lilja 4groove barrel ... The break-in was a snap to finish this morning, one shot and clean for nine times. No blue after shot # 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

All my Lilja pipes are low maintenance. It's easy to see why after looking inside with my borescope. What surprises me is how well some of my factory Remington pipes shoot. The bore scope shows them very rough - explaining the quick fouling.

Big Bore , what you see in a factory bbl with a bore scope is the reason for useing Tubbs Final Finish to do your break-ins !!!

Lilja bbls are smooth but GG was having a small brain fart when he said the bbl was a Lilja. It's actually a Krieger, and also very smooth.---7mmRHB--

[ QUOTE ]
Big Bore , what you see in a factory bbl with a bore scope is the reason for using Tubbs Final Finish to do your break-ins !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Will it help me burn out the barrel? On the advice of GG, I bought a large quantity of VV N-560 to expedite barrel wear. I can't hardly have Kirby re-pipe a new gun that shoots sub MOA.

If it makes cleaning faster, easier - I'll try it.

Big Bore, you wil most likely only need to shoot ten each of the #3-#4-#5 grit bullets to do the job. Keep it cool and clean aggressively after each ten. It works great.

RHB

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.