Kirby, Maybe we should make a 338AM or Snipe-Tac in a pistol??

16" is the shortest bbl that can be on a rifle. Pistols have no limit, as long as its concidered a pistol from the start. 18" is the limit for most long range handgun shoots.

Dave

Uberti single action in 45 longcolt with a rare 18" barrel the frontier model buntline model

414224.jpg

I finally had some time to run a few numbers on bbl length and powders. (From Quick Load program)
18" bbl 300mk bullet (bullet travel 15.5")

Re25 120grns 2650fps 100% powder burn 65K
BMG50 146grns 2730fps 90% burn 64K
IMR 7828 117grns 2665fps 99.9% burn 65K

Looks like 2700fps will be possible out of the 18" bbl.

I looked at my loading info for my 338 Lapua IMP with 18" barrel. I was working with R-22 and F-215M primers using the 300g SMK. I was getting 2711 FPS shot over my Oehler, with 87g of R-22 it looks like I may be able to get more fps out of it primers look good and no sticky bolt.

Dave it looks like a fun project i would use a rear grip and bipod or front rest to keep the blast forther away and also off a bipod it would be able to be controlled easier i also like the idea of an alloy 1 piece grip machined you could also make it 3" wide to track a 3" benchrest bag. 18" barrel and you could even go the whole hog and go the 408 now what velocity could you get from an 18" barrel and you Snipe Tac

Cheers Bill
Australia

Wild Bill:

A 408 18" barreled gun would produce velocities around 2450fps with the 419gr bullet. 99% powder burn. Re22 powder 122grns.

The 338snipe-tac should exceed 2700fps with the 300grn bullet. Unknown how much as testing will only tell the tale.

-Gudday

mindcrime:

I was thinking a four shot wheel gun would be great! I shot a 375 H-H revolver once, ONCE! About tore off my arm!
Darn thing weighed about 8 pounds i think.

I keep thinking about building an Encore in .416 Rigby, but loading it down to about 2400 fps with a 325 grainer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif In my two Rigby rifles, my loads pretty much match the .416 WBY sending a 325 gr. X to 2850 fps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif If I ever did such a thing, I would HAVE to keep the rifle ammo away from the pistol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mindcrime:

From what i have been told by the longrange pistol shooters, the same loads in your rifle will be the same load for the pistol, you will loose about 300-400fps in the shorter bbl. So you will be looking at 2400 or so in the pistol with your rifle loads.

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
Mindcrime:

From what i have been told by the longrange pistol shooters, the same loads in your rifle will be the same load for the pistol, you will loose about 300-400fps in the shorter bbl. So you will be looking at 2400 or so in the pistol with your rifle loads.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess what I meant to have said is that the Encore's loads would be loaded to the "Express Rifle" strength, instead of being hot rodded like I do in my BIG CZ550 Safari Mag. I see where I noted "loaded to 2400fps", where I should have said "loaded to 2400fps IN A RIFLE." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Anyway, the Encore load would be a bottom end load for any rifle. In reality, a .416 Rigby Encore should shoot a 400 grainer to around 2000fps with a 15-16" barrel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BTW, on your website, you noted:

[ QUOTE ]
New!!! Extra long range cartridge!!!

*10,3mm Sniper-Tactical*

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to rename that to an EXTREME LONG RANGE CARTRIDGE, since the .408 Cheytac and .338 SnipeTac are Extra long range cartridges!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That sucker looks AWESOME! I noticed that you are going to build a "shortened .50 BMG action" just for your new wildcat called the ThunderStruck action. AC/DC fan?!? Yeah, me too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

mindcrime:

Yea um no, not a AC-DC fan, a good friend of mine came up with the Thunderstruck name, from the song. I am going to put the back ground music on the website from the AC-DC album.

I am hoping the 10,3mm will work out ok, the 338 Snipe-tac sure met all expectations and more. I should have some action blanks in my shop soon, some are being deep drilled and others are being wire EDM machined. As soon as i get a action done i am going to order the reamers.
10,3mm pistol?????? hahahahahaha

Take care,
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.