Kirby Allen fooled me...

If the poor guy is swamped with work as it is what good would a web page do for him? He'd probably never get any sleep and your rifles would get farther and farther behind.

Heck Roy , with the cost of insurance and taxes now days , the long hrs these guys work and the crap that they have to take from customers on a daily basis if the better smiths doubled their cost it would still be a deal in my book.

They call it the LAW of supply and demand for a reason.
I think Kirby should increase his prices. Really.....

That otta getchall buzzin'.

Call him an outlaw, but Kirby's fighting hard not to give in to it. Clearly, he's an "honest pay or an honest day's work" kind of guy. At this time, his rifles are substantially undervalued. I should buy a couple for investment purposes. One day the LAW will catch up to him though.

He could make a lot more money and do a lot less work if he'd raise his prices. Look at what a Lazzeroni's cost, or Mcwhorter's, or Hart's, or Borden's, or Jarett's, or..... They all START at least $1000 more than what Kirby charges and don't guarantee better accuracy. Some start as much as $5,000 more. I don't know of any other custom gun, with or without an accuracy guarantee, that costs less. Not to mention that he offers his unique wildcat chamberings.

gun)

Who's this Kirby Allen guy you're all talking about???

Oh yeah...............he's the guy that built these two "investment pieces".;);) This is the stuff that APS calls bells, whistles and bling.;)
DSC02442Medium.jpg

Yeah, I know. Behind that grim looking mug Kirby has a heart as big as Al Gore's ego. He's business plan has more to do with getting quality rifles in the hands of ordinary folks who appreciate what that are getting much more than than the high on the hog folks.

This is good for folks like me, but currently not so hot for Kirby's business.

However, being from Montana, for a generation or two, I perceive that he's the salt of the earth kind of guy. The code of the west and all that.

Personal values intrinsic values are as is said, "priceless".

The culture that is revealed by his operations is pretty awesome. Heck, with Dad working closely, and Kinsey and Mom pretty handy, it doesn't get much better.

We've been trying to con him into a web site, but it really doesn't make sense. The design, though it could be awesome, would take his time and cost money. The implementation of a web site would again take time and cost money. And for what? Glitter? It would just drive prices up with an reduced production and no quality improvement. Quality can't be sold or promoted via the web only quantity. When the quantity gets too high then ya gotta get employees. Automatically you become an employer:(. Then XYZ Corporation makes an and off that can't be refused and all of a sudden there is a shop full of equipment that can't make squat with out the Master's Hand. (The ol auction & violin story)

Kirby plays the machines and turns out quality, with the secret being a bit of himself in every product.

Plus with his out of the box thinking and irresistible urges to do the wild cat thing, and some other innovations like the throat development, he is pushing the envelope pretty hard. And that's a very good thing. Way much better than dinking around with a web site.

Just thinkin out loud:rolleyes:

Just in for a bite of lunch. Will have to admit I have not been around as much the last couple months, big game season rush!!! 14-16 hour days, 7 days a week gets hard on me and my better half and little one.

I appreciate all the kind words but I am no different then the other smiths that frequent Longrangehunting.com.

As far as my rifle prices, I think I charge to much already. I have been told hundreds of times that I should charge more, I have a very hard time doing that and generally only do it if there is a componant price increase.

There are some rifles out there that cost alot of money and in my opinion, you do not get a good investment for your money, I view my customers as personal friends and those that know me well know that loyalty is above all to me. I often have sleepless nights because of overdue rifle projects.

I am an average guy that loves to shoot and hunt and no different then anyone else and get really uncomfortable when some put me on a level that I do not believe I am at. I appreciate the kind words and certainly the support in my business but again, I am just another hunter and shooter. I am a performance junky which had led to my wildcats and other projects, pure and simple.

As far as the web site, let me get through the end of this year and then we will do something. More then likely it will just be an informative web page, nothing specical but we have been talking about it and when I get a chance to take a breath, we will get started on it and there will certainly be a link to it here on LRH.

Anyway, got to get some lunch and then back to work. Have several projects that need to be out of here by the first of October!!!

Kirby, I started my business by charging less and working more. I later learned that most do not appreciate being charged less. The most trouble I have had from customers are the ones I charged the least. Make a modest raise in your prices work less and enjoy time with your family. You have built your reputation, your work is excellent....and when you raise your prices you are giving all your previous customers a gift.......instantly our used rifles are worth more:)

On a side not you could just link your ad to this thread talk about some glowing reports, I cannot agree more.

Plus with his out of the box thinking and irresistible urges to do the wild cat thing, and some other innovations like the throat development, he is pushing the envelope pretty hard. And that's a very good thing. Way much better than dinking around with a web site.

Spot on Roy! Couldn't agree more.;)

I thought THIS was his web site! LOL

Kirby does great work and as far as his prices go, if he charged what others do the average guy like me couldn't afford them. Keep up the good work Kirby, you are appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.