Kimber 84m Montana ?

Montana Rifleman,
Did you know your screen name is the name of the company who manufactures the actions for Kimber?
No bones one way or the other, just thought it was ironic!

On a different note, I think the little Montana's are real neat rifles, but their reputation is what led me to build my own on a Rem action, instead of buying one.

Montana Rifleman,
Did you know your screen name is the name of the company who manufactures the actions for Kimber?
No bones one way or the other, just thought it was ironic!

On a different note, I think the little Montana's are real neat rifles, but their reputation is what led me to build my own on a Rem action, instead of buying one.

I actualy found out about the Montana Rifle Co shortly after creating my screen name in another shooting forum a while back. Had I known prior, I probably would have chosen another screen name. Until now, I had no idea they were making Kimber actions. The reviews I've read on them have been a little mixed. I personally think the Kimber Montana is overall a very well designed rifle, but... some of them seem to have some issues.

Yeah, you're right, that is ironic :rolleyes:

Of all the Montana Rifleman actions I've looked at not a one was as nice as it should be.
They all would require a lot of work to become a nice action. I've always wondered if the foundation(action) of a Kimber might not be the root of the problems.

Of all the Montana Rifleman actions I've looked at not a one was as nice as it should be.
They all would require a lot of work to become a nice action. I've always wondered if the foundation(action) of a Kimber might not be the root of the problems.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1+1= 2 > i didn't know the kimbers were built on montana actons.

Since Montana Rifle Co don't even make their own actions I very much doubt that they make the Kimber actions. I own 2 MRC actions and they are cast by Ruger's Pinetrees Casting division, then assembled & finished by MRC.

Kimber does have a model called the "Montana" but definitely not made by the Montana Rife Co! A bit of confusion here I fear.

Regards
JohnT

If I remember correctly they stated they manufacture ALL of their rifle components including barrels, actions, stocks, etc.

I have firsthand experience...me and 3 buddies bought matching montana's for a future hunt in Canada...two 325's, one 260 and one 7mm-08...one of the 325's and my 7mm went back for rebarreling...gregs 325 now shoots sub 1/2 moa at 300 yards...erics 260 shoots as well or better...duanes shoots under 1 moa at the same distance...my 7mm-08 will hold slightly under 3 moa at 100yds after the second barrel, trigger job, new firing pin and glass bedding...all rifles have been shot by the same guys shooting the tiny groups...I also shot my first barrel on the same target that I shot my cooper classic 6x47 and my good shooting kimber longhunter 22-250 on and gave the target to Kimber so they would believe that it was THEIR rifle and not MY shooting abilities...My friends are now happy with their rifles and sounds like some of you are happy with their rifles...I am happy for you guys, but after all I went through over the course of 1 1/2 years dealing with this crap, I will never again purchase another Kimber...new or used...if you see one on the rack, I would suspect it is because the last owner couldn't get it to shoot either...by the way the 7mm-08 is for sale to anyone who thinks they can get it to shoot;) the 22-250 will never leave my grubby little hands:)

I have fired 3 Kimber Montanas. 7mm-08, 308, and 300WSM, all three shot 3 shot groups at about 1". That is with one choice of factory ammo. I am certain you could do better if you tried several factory loads or handload. The 308 actually kicked quite a bit and for that reason your choice of the 7mm-08 would be my choice also. I would give them an A for a factory rifle.

3006, I tried 3 different factory loads as well as handloads...the cases had the flash holes chamfered and drilled...primer pockets reamed...trimmed to length...didn't go as far as weighing the cases or turning the necks like I do for my 300 but still tried to eliminate any variables...tried hornady, sierra, and nosler bullets as well as several powders...guess I just got 2 lemons in a row...it is a little frustrating considering I still have a model 70 3006 bought from walmart about 8 years ago for $328 that will shoot under 3/4" at 100yds...I realize that an ultra light was never designed to be a true tack driver, but when many, many others are doing it and mine will not...well that is a little irksome...happy shooting...dan

3006savage,
my name is greg from bushido2222's post. his 7-08 is the biggest pile of crap i've dealt with in a long time...sorry dan. quality rifles are the only thing in my safe...cooper, les baer, a couple costom phoenix/abs carbon customs. from .204 ruger all the way to .338 edge. my .325wsm isn't for sale, but i have no plans with ever dealing with kimber again. my rifle had chatter marks on ever land, 5/16" from the muzzle, wouldn't feed and had a hoax for a "bedding job"
new barrel and a real bedding and it will shoot 2-3" 3 shot groups @ 500 often. bushido2222 can verify, but more often than not (4 out of 7 that i have had experience with) they suck! they look good, feel good...recoil great, but shoot like garbage. i'd be more than happy to tell you more if you are interested, any questions...i'll answer them from first hand experience.
greg

I think the lesson to be learned from this is there is no sure bet that you will get a shooter by spending a couple extra bucks. I believe a big part of rifles accuracy is the condition of the tooling when your gun is rifled. The button rifling process wears at the tooling and if your rifle is rifled toward the end of the tooling life you probably are not going to get a shooter. That kind of makes it a crap shoot.

I also have watched for and read any and all threads concerning Kimber rifles. My conclusions are about 95% posative so far. This is including a review by Gun Tests Mag that gave a Montana in .308 a stellar review and a A+ grade as well as a Best in class rating. I plan on selling a rifle that is simply waaaay to heavy and puting that $$$ towards a Montana in 300WSM. I am still kicking myself for not buying a Model 7 in 300RSAUM for $400 on sale at my local GM. Live and learn.

No experience withthe rifle due to no budget for one. But I know of no nicer lighter rifle extant for the backcountry.

For myself I am hoping the purchase of a Savage 111FXP in 25-06 will replicate the 84M's lightness for daylong carry. I know it will be accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.