Kestrel for LR hunting Q’s??

Ryeguy

I'm looking for a better solution for hunting. Right now I have a decent range finder and using the Hornady app on the phone. I've watched a few PRS videos and notice a lot of people use Kestrels. I'm curious if any of you do and if it's worth the cost, I'd it really worth the $500-900? How mush better is it that a range finder that has ballistics built in? I'd like to hear some opinions from people that have/still use either one.. Also which Kestrel would be best for LR hunting?
Thanks

One of the greatest things about a kestrel with applied ballistic on there, it has all the information on the kestrel and pops up your dope, after you input the values! You do have to true it up, but it gives you some great places to start.

The problem with super long range shooting, the wind is going to be different at 1k plus yardage. It will only give you the values right beside you. You still have to read the wind down range.

I would buy my kestrel again though, I never go to the range without it.

Speaking for myself, I haven't used my kestrel while hunting, only while range shooting. I consider a rangefinder mandatory gear for hunting, so using a kestrel would add to the technology (read: keeping everything powered on, connected, and sync'ed) and it's not something I've wanted to hassle with during my western hunting. It could be that I just need to push my comfort level to realize I should have been using it all along, but so far that hasn't happened. I don't regret buying my kestrel though.

I really like having my Kestrel. I think it's super valuable with the AB data on it. I use it in conjunction with my Leica 2800.COM and I think that is one heck of a good combo. I'd still like to add the Geovid Pros as well. Wanting to pair the Kestrel with the Leica is the primary reason I wanted both. Some RF binos that have AB built in would be nice too, but I also like the simplicity of the Kestrel and Leica combo. IMO it's worth every penny.

Last edited:
Some binos you can get wind data from the kestrel if you want to use both.

I've been using the kestrel elite since it was commercially available, including for hunting.
If you take that long of shots that it matters then it's great.

Like any tool you have to know how to use it. That includes the wind functions, but there's a ton of other stuff in there, and not all the math that's in there meets reality. There's also the issue of set up time. If you only have 4 seconds to drop pack and set up for a 900y shot in Wyoming wind, you never had a shot.

One of the other benefits of using the elite is I have all my custom drag curves there. They tend to be more accurate then using BCs, and the tuning out to the end of the bullets stability I find easier and quicker.

In my opinion, I don't truly believe you can have a more accurate system by not using a kestrel. Unless you're going to spend 5000 plus on some of the new tech that is about to launch. I will back track slightly, if your shooting inside of 650 yards at a given target, do you really need one? Probably not with the ballistic programs and range finders. A kestrel is the most accurate "device" for the money. Set up properly knowing your ballistics, and being honest with them it is dramatically more precise than an app on your phone and ballistic data in your binos. You still have to learn what the wind is telling you between you and the target. There is no magic device that will tell you what the true wind is doing between you and the final destination of your bullet. So yes it's the most accurate device you can use, but you still have to be able to see or "predict" what is between you and the target past 650 yards. So I will end with what truly is the ranges you want to shoot, do you want to learn from them, and how are you going to understand what is between you and the target? Unfortunately their is no magic ballistics solver only experience. A kestrel will undoubtedly get you in the realm of first shot impacts faster than most any other ballistics program out there. So inside of 650 700 yards do you really need one? Maybe, past that, absolutely it's the best tool for the money you can buy. Just my opinion.

The Kestrel Elite with AB and Bluetooth.
Used it by itself is much better than a phone app and a guess.
When Bluetooth connected to an LRF like my Leica 3500 mounted on my rifle
20210606_162815.jpg
it is truly amazing!
The AB phone app is the best one for me. I use it all the time. AB has far more bullet information available in it, plus the custom curves that are more accurate than advertised BC's. Brian Litz and AB, the best data available!

I still use my AB 4500 kestrel. It's does get me really close but you still want to prove it on target and record data. Being able to have custom drags is something I would want but I'm able to change my bc to true it up the best I can. I've ran mine out to only 1,100 yards. The wind is another ballgame.
Still running the AB 4500 kestrel myself!

I'm looking for a better solution for hunting. Right now I have a decent range finder and using the Hornady app on the phone. I've watched a few PRS videos and notice a lot of people use Kestrels. I'm curious if any of you do and if it's worth the cost, I'd it really worth the $500-900? How mush better is it that a range finder that has ballistics built in? I'd like to hear some opinions from people that have/still use either one.. Also which Kestrel would be best for LR hunting?
Thanks
I have a couple of kestrels and do not use them much. I am happy with an APP for comps like shooter or AB and yes the kestrel is fine for that, just too slow for hunting for me. For hunting I spent the money on a leica 3200 and cannot see myself ever changing back to a LRF, APP, Bino, meter. I use the bino for viewing, ranging, and getting my solution. To each their own but predator hunting particularly its awesome. The only other way I would go is a LRF with ballistics solution. Leica, Revic, etc.

The Kestrel Elite with AB and Bluetooth.
Used it by itself is much better than a phone app and a guess.
When Bluetooth connected to an LRF like my Leica 3500 mounted on my rifle View attachment 564987it is truly amazing!
The AB phone app is the best one for me. I use it all the time. AB has far more bullet information available in it, plus the custom curves that are more accurate than advertised BC's. Brian Litz and AB, the best data available!
WHAT IS THIS… AND WHO DO I GIVE MY MONEY TO?

Attachments

• IMG_8831.jpeg
    IMG_8831.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 54