Kestrel/AB 4500 v.s. handheld ballistic computer

Litehiker

About two years ago I saw a Kestrel/Horus 4500 in action and was very impressed. I then started a thread on that device at Sniper's Hide, saying that all one had to do was input the distance to get a very accurate firing solution. Today we have an even more accurate solution because Kestrel now offers its device with the Applied Ballistics data, which many feel is a bit more refined than the Horus ATRAG ballistics.

Immediately SH I was attacked by an instructor from a shooting school saying that his ballistic calculator was "better" than the Kestrel unit but offering no facts. Others chimed in saying they thought that if the Kestrel/Horus unit was accurate why not use it to greatly speed things up.

WELL... that set off the instructor who said (ranted) that his real-world experience and great ballistics calculator trumped any weather station/calculator.

Obviously the test of time has shown the instructor to be a bit behind the times. Yes, one can use a smart phone ballistics chart to good effect or even a ballistics calculator but they will not have the weather sensors to give a complete solution and on a very long shot that is essential.

Hopefully this year we'll see Kestrel bring out their K/AB 4500 unit with the Smart Bluetooth version that will work out to 2,000 yards/meters (presently it works to "only" 800 yards) when coupled with a high quality laser rangefinder that also has the same new Bluetooth frequency.

ANYHOO - I bring this SH experience up to say that while there are many ways to skin a cat some are better than others in most situations and technology marches on. And I also bring it up to say that I have found this forum to be much more civil and gentlemanly than the SH forum. Not that we here do not hold some firm but differing opinions on shooting, just that we are more uniformly civil in our replies. I appreciate that.

I have a 4500AB and it's outstanding. You have to input yardage and angle. This only takes a few seconds. It then shows you a firing solution and wind solution. Mine works past 2K yards plus so I don't know where you got the 800 yards. The instructor has not used one. If he had I am sure he would have given it five stars.

George,

The 800 yard Kestrel I was referring to is their new "Sport" model with the newer Bluetooth version that talks with Bushnell's CONX LRF monocular.

Yes, the standard Kestrel /AB 4500 works out to 2,000 yards, thankfully.

I have a 4500AB and it's outstanding. You have to input yardage and angle. This only takes a few seconds. It then shows you a firing solution and wind solution. Mine works past 2K yards plus so I don't know where you got the 800 yards. The instructor has not used one. If he had I am sure he would have given it five stars.

I also have the 4500 AB, it's works great! I will soon buy the new 5000 version.

The new 5000 is a great idea if you buy the top of the line that holds drop on more than 3 rifles and works past 800. That is if the Bushnell rangefinder will out range the 1600 and the price is right.. The 1600 and the 4500AB is a hard combination to beat. The G7 is a great unit, however, I use the 1600-4500AB combo because of it's size, accuracy, and wind solutions.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.