Keeping your barrel cool…

I use a small mattress inflator with a piece of 1/4 in air hose connected to the adaptor. I haven't done it myself but have seen others run a longer hose through a small ice chest filled with ice to cool the air before it gets to the barrel. In the Shooting Cinema's in Germany, they have cooling racks to put the guns in with cold air (a/c) hoses they put over the muzzle directing that air straight down the barrel: similar idea.

LD …..I agree with most everything you stated with one exceptionn!

Do your test work in the warmest temperatures you "ever" expect to encounter when hunting (big game or other) to ascertain that your loads are "pressure safe" at high temperature.

You can then verify velocities and groups at expected hunting conditions. If the loads fail to meet your expectations in cool weather…..just start over! Obviously, this will require two seasons to develop and prove your hunting loads. But, the majority of you guys are going to shoot during all seasons anyway! JMO memtb
Watch your powders. Single base generally have less change that bouble based powders. Your H powders are the lowest or smallest change in velocity. Some double based powders change about 1fps per degree.
So interesting input on CO2 use. I do wonder if it has any real effects on the barrel except cooling it.

A liquid cools about 5 times faster than air, even if it is cool.
I have tried NO2, CO2 and O2 out of bottles, none cool as quickly as isopropyl running through copper tube around a barrel. It works very fast on all but fluted barrels in a minute or 2. Fluted barrels seem to take longer, but not a great deal more.
I stand the rifle with muzzle up and bolt removed, seems to work faster that way.

Cheers.
Do you build at coil to fit around the exterior of the barrel? It kind of seem to me that you would only be able to do anything beyond where the stock end.

As others have sad, and I am a firm believer in this also…work up your loads in the heat of summer so you don't receive any nasty surprises while hunting like I did 30+ years ago. I found an awesome load in my 25-06 using RE22 and 100g Speer Hot Cor, printed 3/8" groups all day long at 200, I was stoked with that outcome…in 10°C weather!
Following summer went pig shooting and the very first shot, in 40°C weather, locked the bolt solid, no amount of pulling would open the bolt. Back at camp later that day, I hammered the bolt open, then hammered it to the rear, the case was fully fused to the bolt face of my custom Ruger M77 MK II, when I got it off the bolt using pliers, the primer was in 2 pieces and the anvil was FLATTENED.
Checked everything and there were no signs of damage, no gas had leaked past the bolt, so was good to go…that was the last time I worked up loads in Winter.

Cheers.
i did something like that using IMR powder. Only about a 60dr change. Blow the primer out of the case. Bolt was hard to open. I gave away about 16lbs of powder and never used it again.
i watch very closely what powders I am using. I just about don't use any double base powder anymore.

i did something like that using IMR powder. Only about a 60dr change. Blow the primer out of the case. Bolt was hard to open. I gave away about 16lbs of powder and never used it again.
i watch very closely what powders I am using. I just about don't use any double base powder anymore.

Obviously you prefer to avoid a double base type powder…..but, should you ever for what ever reason need/want to try one again, consider what I do.

I never do load development in temperatures below 90 F…..which is very likely the warmest that I will use my rifle in. This should eliminate the possibility of an overpressure situation. As I don't hesitate to load at near maximum loads…..I want my max's safe at any temperature I may encounter!

Yes, your winter velocities may be lower than your summer velocities…but a few minutes with the chrono in temperatures near your typical hunting temperatures …..will allow you a re-zero for expected temperatures! memtb

Any suggestions on ways to keep my barrel cool during load development? I'm in Phoenix area so it's 113* today. Working up a load for elk and trying to find a way to cool off my barrel. Trying to shoot 1 every 10-15 minutes but still gets hot and trying to maximize my time at the range
In the summer months when temps hit 70 in the morning I use cold towels, I usually wet a towel night before and put it in the freezer then in the morning I take it out and by the time I get to the range its nice and pliable, I place a towel on the barrel after every shot for a few minutes.

I've been using an air mattress inflator hooked to a booster pack.
Blows through a drinking straw. I'm lucky to have shade also.
Im assuming you want cooler than natural air, so you might have to pull out of an iced down drink cooler.?
never tried it for myself

Thanks for the suggestion. I retired my Magnito Speed. This pump is faster and doesn't need a battery. It charges in the car.