Record keeping?

I use a 4" thick 3 hole punch ring binder. I use thick paper standard size 8-1/2 X11 for targets. I have devider tabs in binder for various calibers. I write pertinent info on target and put into binder after shooting for future reference. I had a ink stamp made for all pertinent reloading data so it's easy to not forget a key element. When binder starts getting full I just pull old targets out for that caliber - put in manila folder and file in my reloading 4 drawer cabinet.

I usually take my 3 ring binder with me to the range or practice sessions. It works for me but I'm also open to suggestions to consider.

All my info is saved on the Caldwell app. Also I take pics of my target for each load and it's saved in the app, as well.

I have a file cabinet with folders for every cartridge I load for. I take all of my notes in the field and they go in the folder when they get home. I date everything so I can reference back.

I have kept notebooks for many years that have tabbed sections for each of my rifles. They include all rifle/scope info, load work, shot count by date, test targets, drop data, competitive scores, game taken. Seems like a lot of work but well worth it as time goes by.and details are forgotten.

I just get a folder from the Dollar store. I have a stack of them in nice bright colors. Every gun has a folder. I like to print my own targets and I save them (I like pictures). If I'm doing a series of load work up for example, I may have 10 or 15 targets. I paper clip those together and just keep everything in order, oldest tests in front and newer in back. I make notes on the targets or add a piece of paper if I need to. If I do a new test like a primer test, those get paper clipped together and my notes remind me of what the test was along with anything noteworthy.

I tried spread sheets but they bore me.

I use composition books from the dollar store, I hand write everything it helps me keep track. As others have said, keeping track is half the fun, I don't load for my varmint guns often so when I do I load a whole bunch at once. Have to look back through the book because who can remember something they did several years ago!!!

I do they same with every rifle I build too, that way all the numbers are documented and I can just flip back through my notes and make up a new barrel.

I use word perfect save it in my docs, copy to a flash drive for back up and at the end of the year I print off everything for each rifle then keep the print outs in a binder

On the day that I reload I add all of the data, bullet ,powder, primer (with lot numbers) fl or neck sized and the seating depth, then store that in the aboved for the rifle.

On the day on the range ( or in the field ) what I add to my records is the date, load, bullet, vel, how many shots fired and weather. Also the groups and ranges and the ammo from witch loading session. Then on the bottom of the page is the rnds fired to date.

So I can open my binder (or wp program ) at any day and know how many rnds that rifle has shot, witch load produced what results, how many animals have been harvested by that rifle to date

I take my load data ring binder to the range with me. It doesn't seem official until it is penned in.We don't have Internet in most locations anyways.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.