Kahles helia kx 4-12X50 or zeiss conquest 4.5-14

willymcd

I'm am between these two scopes, with either a mil dot or ballistics type reticule. the zeiss and kahles with milldot and 50mm objective are the same price, the zeiss with 44mm objective is about a $100 cheaper, (50mm zeiss and kahles is $750, 44mm zeiss is $630). From what i have read Kahles seems to be a marginally better scope. but i don't know if i necessarily need a 50mm objective, i could save some doe by going with the 44mm... Also i was wondering if anyone has looked through one of these scopes with a mildot? They look like they may be hard to see for the hard of seeing. I want my dad to be able to use the scope as well... Anyone know of a place with cheaper prices as well??

Thanks

I looked through the Zeiss 44 and 50 yesterday and it was great scope. I haven't looked through a Kahles yet. I'm going up to a place this weekend that allows you to look through all of the scopes in a desert setting. I will repost again. I'm looking at the 4.5-14x50 Z800. So far that scope is what I'm aiming at getting.

I've got both the Kahles 3x9x42 and the Ziess 3.5x10x44 The Kahles is the better scope of the two. The Kahles with the smaller objective has better clarity than the Ziess.

I own a Kahles 3x9x42 Multizero and recently purchased (then sold) a Kahles K418 4.5X18x50mm so I am very familiar with the Kahles. The Kahles glass is probably better than the Zeiss but to my eyes, the Zeiss was a little brighter. I think overall, Kahles scopes are on par with the Swaros if they happen to have a model that you like. (Just to be clear, I sold the K418 simply because it wasn't the scope I needed for a certain project. There was nothing wrong with the scope. It was in fact very nice.)

Both the Zeiss and the Kahles are great scopes for the money and you would be happy with either. The only caution I would throw out there is that Kahles hasn't had a a U.S. Distributor since last December nor do they have a network for repair or warranty work in the U.S. (Legacy Sports International and Kahles had a falling out due to lack of customer support from the home office is my understanding.) If you have a problem or otherwise want technical support (which is crappy by the way), you have to deal with the folks back in Austria. (Scope repairs are sent to the U.S. rep who in turn ships them to Austria) There is a single rep in the U.S. and I can provide his name and number if you want it but I think he is pretty bummed out about the lack of interest that Kahles is providing to the U.S. market right now.

Kahles are wonderful scopes. They just don't have their act together in regard to supporting the American market and in this economic environment, I wouldn't guess that you will see them investing in that arena anytime soon.

Just food for thought.

Thanks for the good info havingfun!

Can i ask you about the multizero system? Are there clicks in between the 5 adjustable stops, or is it just smooth turning from one stop to the next? also when you hit that last stop can you keep turning the turret or does it stop? I looked at swarovski multi balistics turret and theirs doesn't go a full revelution. How many clicks are in a full turn?

acording to swarovski ballisitics calculator for their system i need a total of 50 clicks for my volquartsen to make it 150yds ...

Thanks

There are clicks between the marks and beyond. Just like a normal scope its just that you rotate a cam to mark preselected ranges. I believe the Kahles has one more setting more than does the Swaro however.

Another note on the Kahes which is an issue to some folks. The turret turns clockwise vice CCW for most scopes. Again, just something to keep in mind if your used to the standard CCW rotation.

I honestly don't know the total elevation adjustment but since it's a one inch tube, and European, I doubt if it's too much. Gets my .325 WSM out to about 500 yards which is all I need.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.