K and P rifle barrels......have you used them ?

I have a K&P chambered in 6 comp match which is shot out at the moment but although it is a good barrel and very accurate it has always been extremely finicky to get in tune. Not bad mouthing K&P whatsoever but I'm goin back to bartlein. Just my opinion.

I have one in 6 Comp Match. Shoots lights out. For comparison I also have two other rifles with Bartlein and Benchmark barrels. Of the 3, the K&P and Benchmark shoot the best. However, all 3 consistently shoot under 1/2 MOA.

K and P barrels (http://kandpgunco.com/) are made one at a time by Ken Johnson in his shop in my home town of Rapid City, SD. Ken is as meticulous as they come, and his barrels are right up there with the big name barrels. Keep in mind that the best barrel with crappy chambering or crappy bedding, will shoot poorly. I have 2 of his barrels - a 280 AI and a 300 WM. Both were expertly chambered by a machinist who really knows his stuff - and designs his own reamers. Both rifles are tack drivers! You can't go wrong with K and P!

H82
Howdy ,

I had one in .224" caliber. ( 28" 1-8 ). Shot superbly !

With regards,
357Mag

I know a few big bore BR shooters who swear by K&P barrels and they've used barrels from all the big names.

I ordered one last year for a 270 project and the price and turnaround time on it was very good. After some issues with the build (poor accuracy) I realized that the twist was a 1-8" not the 1-7" I ordered. I called up Ken 9 months after taking delivery of the barrel just to verify that I hadn't made a mistake when ordering the blank and he took 100% responsibility for it and said he'd replace the barrel. When I told him I had some other possible concerns (not barrel related) which may have been the cause of the poor accuracy he said it didn't matter and he wouldn't be happy until I had a rifle shooting bug hole groups. That's exceptional customer service!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.