You have but one rifle....a 270 AM

philny1

You have but one rifle....a 270 AM, 30" barrel. Just what would ya load for your next elk and mulie hunt??? One load to cover both.

I'd probably go with the heaviest/ highest BC bullet I could find. Probably start with the 169.5gr Wildcat and see if it shot well. Depending on the distance, I might try the 140gr Nosler Interbond or even better for elk than the Interbond would be the 150gr Partition.

I'd let the rifle tell me which of those it liked.

Don

I might be a little swayed, but either the 169.5 or the 195 is going to do you justice, with the 195 giving you the better penetration on a shoulder shot.

bearless:

Since this is a Long Range Hunting forum and not a sneak up and put it in their ear forum, I'd guess that we are talking about potential long range shots at deer and elk sized animals. You'd be best served by using the heaviest for caliber, highest BC bullet that is properly designed for hunting. The 270 AM has the horsepower to handle anything you can launch down the pipe.

Assuming the gun is properly built and can handle it, I'd go with the 195 Wildcat although the 169.5 would do the job also. Either one will easily handle an elk or a deer. I've had almost full body length penetration on elk with the Wildcats in my 7mm AM and wouldn't hesitate to use them again. In fact, Wildcats are what I'll be using again this coming hunting season. And it'll be the heaviest that I can launch.

I've shot deer with the heavy Wildcats as well as the lighter Accubonds with my 7mm AM and the terminal performance was just as good, if not better, with the Wildcats.

Long, heavy, pointy and well constructed bullets pushed by large amounts of powder in a properly built gun make for a happy hunter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would certainly concur with SS7MM, you just don't understand the real meaning of the term "sectional density" until you smack an elk with a heavy Wildcat bullet.

Elk - 690 yards - 200 grain Wildcat ULD RBBT out of 7mm AM

Entrance
339517.JPG

Where it ended up in cross side rear hind quarter
339519.JPG

Comments on this elk hit as well as several deer with same gun was it sounded like a 500# beaver slapping his tail in a pond full of jello. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Music to my ears /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And this guy was no where near as big or as far away as buffalobob's big bull he got last fall.

The 270 AM with the right bullet will do the same thing. Good luck with your new gun. You'll like it a lot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"Comments on this elk hit as well as several deer with same gun was it sounded like a 500# beaver slapping his tail in a pond full of jello. Music to my ears "

Yea and if your laying out prone, you get the added bonus, depending on the ground, of picking up the added shock wave coming through the ground under you. Definately something different to experience.

Ok, I'm wired. Still haven't shot it, maybe today. Calm this AM so far, cold 4*, see what its like when it gets lite.
Have a hundred 195 gr wildcat bullets that Tim sent me, ordered a couple jugs of 872. Anxious to see what I can do with her. Have to get in an order for some more bullets. Also thing about some 200 gr wildcats for my 30-378, anybody using them??
Did a print out from www.eskimo.com, ballistics are amazing. Using 9000 ft as elevation and a temp of 39*, this will put me close to my hunting conditions and I'll tweak my drop chart accordingly.
Thinking bout a wind gauge, any suggestions, short of a weather station. I don't think I'm ready for that, then I'd have to get an I-pod....I just don't like those gadgets. My range finder, a wind gauge and drop charts oughta get me by out to 800 or so. But then........maybe I could try...I see it happening, getting sucked in one gadget at a time. This is bad, like I said, haven't even shot it yet!!
New gun site, www.Gunsinternational.com. similiar to the old Guns America. Check it out.

Mounted a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm using dual dovetail Leu mounts and Burris Sig rings. Was able to put the scope on at 25yds using their offset inserts, on with no scope adj. Three rounds total and I'm 2.5" high at 100 yds, figured this would put me close at 300 yds where the rest of my shooting was done.
This was with the 169.5 gr wildcat in front of 92,5 gr 869--this is Texas Tims load. This proved to be hot for NY conditions (Temp 40*--altitude 2500 ft) with very heavy bolt lift.
I should add that I'm recovering from shoulder surgery, need to be careful. Tried holding the butt with my left hand, worked but very awkward. Also have a lead sled, again found it awkward. Anyways, accuracy wise I could do MOA without a problem and for now let it go at that.
Shot the 195 gr Wildcats starting with Tims load of 94grs--WC872 - 3044 fps. Worked in 1 gr increments to 98 gr - 3250 fps where I experienced heavy bolt lift. Back off to 96.5 gr, COL--3.634 where the velocity averaged 3194 fps w/23 ft spread. Overcast, calm, temp 40*--perfect day. This is the bullet I plan on using for working up an elk load.
The 195s, accuracy wise are bout the same. Not comfortable shooting off the lead sled.
Jewell trigger is awesome, my first one. Shawn Carlocks brake makes it a fun gun to shoot.
Wc-872, lot#-49452.

Was your brass completely fireformed?

Just as a reminder, a maximum charge Springtime load can cause major issues when you try it out in the summer. If your shoulder gets healed up, it would be good to get the drops tested and settled on while the temperatures are about the same as the fall hunting season. That is one problem I had last year.

Bob
Texas Tim sent me the brass with the rifle, he fire formed it. I didn't expect to hit high ptessure so soon. Was hoping to end up with a load in the 3250 range.
All I have to do is walk out the back door to shoot, so I can pick my conditions. Like to shoot first thing in the morning when its cool. Yea, I to had a problem last year with another rifle.
Thanks
Phil

Just to chime in ........a little late but.......
I'd shoot nothing but WCs in the AM. (I nap in the PM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Seeing as the name of the game is LRH I'd go with the 195s. The 169s are awesome but the 195s are awesomer! You'll get great accuracy with either. My "first" two shots at 1K were 4" horizontal spread/zero vertical spread. I'm skeer'd to try it again and shatter the memory.

Seeing as NY isn't all that high you may wish to take a trip to UT or ID and have some load workup days and visit the spud fields and Yellystone. (Sponsored by the ID tourism board /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

However, it appears that going up in elevation and even at the same temperature you'll be safe with your 'home' loads.

Roy

"However, it appears that going up in elevation and even at the same temperature you'll be safe with your 'home' loads."

Yea, I would think so. But last year my 30-378 was fine here. Hunting in CO I had severe problems with pressure, even though the temp was bout the same. Got it home was fine again, backed of another .5 gr.
Have no explanation for it.

Roy, I necked turned my brass because after I shot a round it appeared that I could reseat the bullet back in the case, it had that much neck tension. The brass I used was 300Rum because I split the order for the 270 and the 300.

Problem is that experiencing some carbon blow back on the outside of the neck and I'm thinking that's due to turning the neck. Also the 195's I measured to have a 10K jump and now when trying to extract a loaded round have to use a block of wood to eject. You think this could be a carbon build up in the throat causing the 195's to stick. Have you had anything like this happen to you. What about you BBob.
Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.