Just two rifles...what calibers? varmints to bears

Most Blaser barrels have very long twists which aren't appropriate for lrh bullets.
For example Andy Atzl in Austria (google for Bixn Andy) can build you any cut rifled barrel you desire though, chambered for your prefered cartridge.

ps: The mag length is 92mm in the R8.

Silver, I've been using Blasers since 1995; they're hard to beat. I'm retired now, but work the Dallas Safari and SCI Shows for Blaser. I hunt Africa once or twice each year, as well as Alaska, Argentina, Mexico, Canada, and the US. I usually have 7 or 8 Blaser barrels sighted in with scopes on, in my safe waiting for a hunt. Just select the scoped barrel, put it in your break-down case with the stock, and off you go.

Although you have a large-caliber double rifle, I would not pass up a large caliber barrel for your R8. I love to hunt with doubles, but because it's challenging and sporting, not because it's a better weapon. With a double, you add gun weight, the use of open sights, and limited range. They're good perhaps for Elephant or early season Buffalo when the cover is thick, but in most circumstances you will limit your capabilities without a large caliber magazine rifle.

I'm not sure what the limiting factor is in your country,...number of firearms owned or number of barrels. If the ownership of barrels is not limited, you have nothing to worry about. I'd get a smaller-mid caliber like a 6.5x57, 260 Rem, or even a 243, then a 300 Win mag, a 375 for larger game (equals the 338 when lighter bullets are used), and a 458 Win or Lott. You're covered! :)

6MM Remington - 55 grain for your critters 90-105 grain for your deer.
30/06 or 300/338 RUM for everything else if you think you need a magnum.

I really don't see the fascination with the 308. Its what the 223 should be. A hard hitting carbine to
be used at no more than 300 yards on semi auto AR platform. Sure you can shoot it out to 1k yards and beyond, but why when there are numerous calibers far better suited?

My choice would be the 6.5wsm and the 375 rum. You stated that you wanted 2 calibers, but you may be open to multiple barrels :) in the same caliber. So now here is why I chose those 2 calibers. 1) The 6.5 wsm will handle all bullets from 95 grain v-maxes up to the 160 matrix. 2) The 375 rum is large enough to handle anything on the planet, but versatile enough to shoot the thin skinned game as well. If your worried about burning barrels then replace the 6.5wsm with the 6.5 creed. I like all 3 calibers and have shot/loaded them with great success.
Chris
Benchmark

Agreed on the 375rum. If you were to ever find yourself in Africa for dangerous game you'll need a375 or larger. I think for my other choice a 6.5 creed or 7mm 08 over the 243win.

For me it would be my 6mm AI for everything up to medium deer. Then my Lazzeroni Warbird for anything bigger. 55 grains to 210 grains with plenty of speed in either.

Recent Posts