Just starting out new 223 & Reloading seems to be a necessity

carmstr

Hello purchased Tika Varmiter 223 with the heavey barrel. I thought I would shoot 1 inch groups out of the box. To my surprise with a 1 in 8 twist the 55Gr. shells didn't do the trick at all 100yrds. I was very dissapointed until I started doing some research. I woundering if anyone has the same rifle and confirm that the 80gr. A-Max is the correct pill, I purchasd the reloading gear as well along with the 80 gr. shells. From what I have read should have started reloading years ago. I put a Leopold 6.5X20 50MM on, Varmit rectile. I tried some 62gr. and grouping 1.5" at 200 yards. I hunted for 30 plus years just getting into long distance shooting and realize how little I really know.

Any advise is appericatedlight bulb

I have a 1-8 twist at least, in a RRA Varmiter AR. It does its best with bullets from 60gr. &
up & kicks butt with the 77MK. Some 1-8's will shoot light bullets, but try as stated first. Mine was very good with the 60V-Max right away, not to the level of he 77MK, but I wanted a good Var. slug & the VM is that!!

Now that I have sent alot of rounds down the tube, it is doing better with lighter bullets, the 50BK & 52A-Max are 2 of those.

Last edited:
I've been spending alot of time behind an 1-8"tw 223AI for the past year and half....put about 1800 rounds through it with most of them being 75Amax's. Don't get hung up on thinking that a fast twist won't shoot the light bullets well, I shoot alot of 50 grnr's on woodchucks inside 400yards. I've played around with enough 40grnr's at 3900 to know that they too will shoot in an 1-8" tw. I've never shot the 80A-Max, but the 75A-max is one sweet little bullet that will get you to 1K handily.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.