Just received Sightron S3

Sounds encouraging. I've got two of the 6-24x50 MOAs on backorder, and your comments had me pushing the safety back to the 'ON' position. So I'm glad to hear your findings are improving, and your scope may be measuring up to your needs and uses after all.

SBruce, i too am glad to hear the new scope is working well. i was sure the other one just wasn't right and Sightron stood behind their product.

was wondering how you like the 1/4 dot? i still might trade this new one in and try to upgrade to the new moa reticle. i'm just a little gun shy because i've been burned by the dots being too large.

SBruce, i too am glad to hear the new scope is working well. i was sure the other one just wasn't right and Sightron stood behind their product.

was wondering how you like the 1/4 dot? i still might trade this new one in and try to upgrade to the new moa reticle. i'm just a little gun shy because i've been burned by the dots being too large.

Well, for an all around scope, for big game down to prarie dogs; I think the dot and reticle thickness is just fine. If a person was just going to shoot prarie dogs in mid-day light, then you might want the center dot to be 1/8 moa instead of 1/4, but that's a maybe.

I haven't had any problems with the dot covering up a dog out to 400 yds, even the really small ones. Also, the dot is floating; there is about 1 minute of empty space between the dot and any one of the crosswires. I find that I am usually holding off the dog a little one way or the other anyway, so it works fine.........way better than 1/4 minute crosshairs that're connected at the center.

On the other hand, for big game and predators (morning/evening/night sometimes for predators) I dont think you'd want the thickness to be any less than it is now without adding an illumination feature. The super fine reticles on my Nightforce scopes require illumination in the first and last few minutes of legal light, and at night too.......they're just too fine to use when it's very low light and looking into the brush.

So far, I think this moa reticle will be good to go for all around LR hunting. I haven't yet compared the resolution/brightness/contrast side by side to another 24X50 scope that I've really liked, but will at some point I am sure.

One change I'd make to the reticle, is put the spacing at 1 moa instead of 2moa. If a person wanted 2 minute marks they could still turn the power down to 12X and get that too.

Great wright up on the new SIII MOA scope. I was sold the minute I saw the new retical ( just yesterday by the way was the first time I have seen it on line). I held off for the last couple years purchasing a SIII just because I wanted a different retical option. Seems sightron listened and produced a great looking scope.

Now I only have two questions, 25x or 32x on the max power and where/who is the best place to buy one from?

Thanks

BT

I should receive one of my 6-24x50mm 2-MOA SIIIs tomorrow. Just in time for sheep season. I've only used the 6x24s, so I can't comment on the 32 power SIIIs. Not sure where the best place to purchase is. I'm purchasing through a relative that owns a gun shop who can purchase from a wholesaler at dealer's cost.

2011-08-03_204218.jpg

I got my LRMDCM 6-24 in today. SWFA had a demo A for sale for $699 so i couldnt pass up that deal. I like it so far, I see what Bruce is talking about on the focus knob, VERY touchy but seems to works fine. The glass in mine is incredibly clear, I will compare it to a friends 5.5-22x50 NXS. I couldn't believe how light it was for its size. Only issue i have is my TPS medium rings are to tall, so i am ordering some Lows from midway tomorrow.

I got my LRMDCM 6-24 in today. The glass in mine is incredibly clear...., I couldn't believe how light it was for its size....,[/QUOTE]

Those are the primary reasons I use these 6x24 SIIIs. You'll find that the turrets track dead nutz on also. And I haven't had any fail internally on me yet, nor do I read of recoil and muzzle brake induced failures.

Sightron just purchased my scope back from me. I have two others that I love, however the finish on the new one I just received was sub-par for a scope in that price range IMO. Mine looked just like camshafts, the OBJ ring was a dark black and the scope body was really dull. Needless to say I was very disappointed, Stightrons are a favorite of mine. I know for some it may not be an issue but to me it looked cheap. I hope they fix this issue or they may steer me back into Leupold or Vortex.

As always their customer service was top notch and they sent me a check for what I paid for it.

IMAG0054.jpg

Jon

I just put on a set of butler creek flip ups, so that front piece will never see the light of day again. I really didn't mind it, but i did notice that when i thread on my sunshade, it does not thread flush to the scope, it tightens on with about .050" gap, i will probably be contacting Sightron in regards to this. Also the flip us caps the included with mine were slightly undersized as well.

On edit: I just looked at the photos on Sightrons website and the threaded on piece on the end of the bell doesn't look like the one on my scope. It could be why the lens shade doesn't mount properly. Im going to ask customer service about it. Its definatly no reason to ge ta different scope, but i will ask them about it.

Last edited:
I just put on a set of butler creek flip ups, so that front piece will never see the light of day again. I really didn't mind it, but i did notice that when i thread on my sunshade, it does not thread flush to the scope, it tightens on with about .050" gap, i will probably be contacting Sightron in regards to this. Also the flip us caps the included with mine were slightly undersized as well.

On edit: I just looked at the photos on Sightrons website and the threaded on piece on the end of the bell doesn't look like the one on my scope. It could be why the lens shade doesn't mount properly. Im going to ask customer service about it. Its definatly no reason to ge ta different scope, but i will ask them about it.

They said I was the first person to bring this up, however they must of agreed with me to buy my scope back when I didn't even purchase it from them. They told me it was because the rings and the scope body's were finished in two different areas. Their CS is first class! and I am VERY happy with my other 2 Sightrons. To say that I was disappointed would be an understatement, I love the glass on these scopes.

I showed it to a few friends and they agreed also on the finish. I was going to just use the scope cover also but this rig will always wear it's sunshade 99% of the time since it's on my 20VT.

Jon

Did your sunshade thread on flush with the objective? Did you inquire as to weather or not they could replace the piece on the end of the objective with one that matched? Just curious.

Did your sunshade thread on flush with the objective? Did you inquire as to weather or not they could replace the piece on the end of the objective with one that matched? Just curious.

If I remember right the sunshade fitted fine. They tried a couple of different routes to make it right, however all of the scopes they had in stock were from the new batch and were miss-colored IMO. Again their CS is awesome.

Jon

well now a slight hick up... Here I was ready to pull the trigger on the new MOA SIII. Can we assume all the new SIII MOAs have the miss match bell and end ring?

Do keep us posted on the outcome.

BT

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.