Just received Sightron S3

What was wrong with the other items listed ? I wouldn't tolerate a scope that couldn't focus lower then 12x !

The NF had an issue with the eyepiece. Something locked up, got really tight to turn, then all the sudden loose and spun like a nut on a bolt. That reticle wouldn't focus for day and night on the same setting. The windage turret needed recalibrated too, 1moa on the dial was 5 clicks instead of 4. Sent it back and everything seems just fine now, but there was about 2 month wait time.

The Leica 1600 rangefinder wouldn't range anywhere near what my 7 yr old 1200 would, changing battery didn't help any. Sent it back and got a brand new unit 2 weeks later. It seems just fine, and does what I expected.

Rifle action got bent somewhere in the rebarrel process, scope rings that came off just fine were canted off terribly after the rebarrel. Had to lap them forever just to get the scope to lay down in the rings. Put a cheap scope on that rifle just because of that.
Trigger got messed with somewhere in the process (was just perfect ahead of time). Now it will not go nearly as light as it used to and still be safe. Safety has to be removed, if it's even connected at all the gun wont fire.

Remember that old song on HEE HAW. If it werent for bad luck I'd have no luck at all........gloom, dispair, and agony on me. LOL:) Oh well, at least I've been lucky in life and health.

Does the reticle on your new scope stay sharp when you turn the power ring all the way down? How about the side focus, is there very little usable movement on it?

Last edited:
Love that line from Hee haw LOL. No my scope is great its entire range. I'm really impressed with this scope. Call up Sightron I bet they'll be eager to help. What gun smith shouldn't we send our rifles to. Save us a headache .

What gun smith shouldn't we send our rifles to. Save us a headache .

I'll PM you if you wish, but I haven't wanted to put the name out on the forum. It's a local guy, and NOT Nesika Chad or any of the sponsoring gunsmiths on this site. Chad is currently building that guns' replacement on a blueprinted remington action. I fully expect it to be an amazing rifle.

Last edited:
Another update on the SIII 6-24X50 LRMOA.

Just got off the phone with a guy at Sightron.

I expressed my concern about the narrow and sensitive nature of the SF. I also expressed my concern about the illusion of the reticle changing size when rotating the eyepiece. Additionally, I expressed concern about the reticle focus becoming fuzzy when the power was turned down below 12X.

I was basically told that the SF sensitivity is normal on their scopes, and that they've never seen an issue yet where the image was focused and parallax still existed. (I am not saying parallax would still exist, just makes me a little concerned that it might with the narrow band of focus available). He said not to worry about that. He said the majority of their scopes have a very narrow focus range on the dial.

I was told it is normal for the reticle to change size (or appear to change) as it leaves the focus of the eye from one direction to the other. Reason I maybe didn't notice this with other scopes is possibly because some other scopes take alot of movement on the eyepiece to get to that "un focused" point.?

He said he would pull an identical scope off the shelf and check the sharpness of the reticle when the power gets turned down. He stated that is something he hadn't heard of before.

He's supposed to get back with me tomorrow. So at this point anyway; there's no reason for alarm. He seemed extremely familiar with the issue of a very sensitive SF knob and the few scopes that have been sent back due to this were found to be just fine.?

I'll keep you posted as I hear more and test it out more.

Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about the quickness of the parallax knob. My 3-24 March goes from 100 to infinity in just a small fraction of a turn as well. And it gets SHARP! One thing I do with all new scopes is to check/fine tune the ocular with the parallax.

With a target 100 yds away or so (a bit less works well with fast turn knobs like that) without regard to the focus, adjust the parallax knob until you have removed all parallax—check by moving your eyeball behind the scope and get it perfect. Then, adjust the ocular to bring both the target and reticle into sharp focus (very easy to do with fast focus eyepiece scopes).

It may sound a bit backward, but I've had better luck doing this with some scopes than the standard focusing of the reticle at the sky or a white wall. With any good quality scope you should be able to get it so the most perfect target/reticle focus also has zero parallax, the above method is just another way of doing it.

Anyway, that's for scopes with nothing wrong with them. The reticle being in focus on 24X and getting fuzzy at lower power makes me think there's something up with yours.

I got my sightron S-III 8-32x56 about a year ago after my scabbard broke and my horse stepped on my gun bending the tube on my S-II 4-16. When I called sightron to ask about repairing a scope that was in now way their fault, I was told to send it in. A week later I had a brand new scope! I had read about the S-III and bit the bullet and ordered one. I really like it. At the same time I also bought a new Leoupold VX-3 6-20. If my eyes were better I could tell you which one is better, but I think the Sightron has the edge. The biggest problem I had was getting rings that were tall enough. My goal for this scope was to eliminate carrying a spotting scope while hunting and it works well.

Mine is also the Dot. It was the only thing available when I ordered mine. I would have liked to try the mildot but I am happy just dialing in. P.S. I am a former Ironworker, Local 377, transfered to 454 and then got out of the trade. Probably the reason my eyes aren't as good as they used to be is from all the time I spent under a welding hood.

Oh Yeah I just retired out of Local #378. I worked 1/3rd of my career in SF. Maybe we worked together? I use to burn a lot of .120 NS3m and NR 232 for Herrick ! I retired last may this time. When our economy crashed all the work went with it.No sense showing up at the hall when there was nothing their.So I pulled the pin hung up my belt. Now I'm trying to re-invent my self. So what work are you doing now?

Hello again guys,

Just thought I'd post back the good results from the new Sightron.

Mounted it up and boresited it yesterday. I played around with it alot on the bench looking at targets at different distances. I then went out and shot some prarie dogs at distances from 250 yds to just under 400 yds. Even though the focus band is very narrow, I was able to focus on things very close to out beyond 1700 yds. Pleased to announce that when the image was sharp, there was no parallax visible:D Good results in both bright daytime and low light at dusk.

Also, speaking of light; the issue I was having with the reticle becoming fuzzy once the power was turned down below 12...........didn't exist during most of the day. When the light was good, the reticle stayed in focus at lower powers too. Perhaps it's my eyes and they way they focus in low light, perhaps not.? I haven't yet heard back from Sightron about if they had this issue with any other LRMOA reticles.

Just thought I'd pass on the good news.

OH, one other thing; after I got done shooting some dogs, I put it on paper at 200 yds, got it zero'd dead on at 200. Something I was impressed with was that once zero'd and dials realigned to zero. They were also on the "zero" revolution counter.:cool:

That's almost as good as a "zero stop" because it's real easy (during daylight anyway) to see if you are back on zero or off by a full rev either way.

Adjustments seemed to move POI the predicted amount too. Very easy to sight in.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts