Just for fun - let's design a bolt action

Re: Just for fun - let\'s design a bolt action

Redbone,
Believe it or not info from this thread was passed on to T/C at one of the initial meetings on the design of the new ICON bolt action. You guys provided some great input that went into the new design.

Action :I'd say the Surgeon XL action made from 17-4 SS bolt from 4140. , using an M-16 style extractor and mechanical ejector , Sako style bolt stop. I'd like to see a 3 lug desgine to decrease the bolt lift , chambered in 30-338 Lapua , Improved with 35deg shoulder and min body taperNot 100% on the trigger but probably a Rifle Basix

Barrel : 28" ABS carbon barrel with 1-10 twist Rock Creek barrel liner , with Nate Dagley's 3 baffel V-port brake made from Titanium.

Stock : I think I go with Tom Manner's new A-5 style made from Carbon fiber to lighten it up some , fitted with a 1" decelorator pad and Terry Cross adjustable comb hardwear one swivel stud for Bi-pod and two flush cups on the left side for sling carry.

Scope and rings , Glenn Seekins 6 screw rings with the two torx head screw for the clamp. Scope US Optics SN3 T-PAL 3.2-17x with PCMOA retical.

All metal coated with Robar's NP3 inside and out

I should have the ultimate bolt action receiver here in anytime..

Will report very soon. It will be called the APS Raptor. Just my personal opinion by the way, a bit bias but will offer many features no other receiver does at this time.

Kirby Allen(50)

Hye Kirby you gonna offer any discount to members here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm saving my pennies now of a Surgeon , I guess I better wiat huh

You know, one of the boards I used to read looooong ago designed their own cartrige the same way this thread is talking about the entire rifle. I didn't agree with the direction they took but mine was only one vote of many.

I think it would be great for the combined knowledge of the members of this "Online Magazine" to come up with a "new" cartridge (.338LRH .300LRH etc.) and then design the ultimate shooting platform to deliver it. It would make things so much easier for beginners like me; I could just call up Fifty or CatShooter or any of the others and ask for; one LRH special please. Could I get that heavy on the muzzel brake, light on the trigger, with a large side of brass, to go. Does that come with dies? I guess "super-sizing" it would be redundent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.