TARGET DESIGN

Ian M

What is your favorite design for scoped rifle targets - intended use would be 100 and 200 yards. I like a diamond with a circle in the middle. How about some optimum dimensions - height, width, distance across or whatever. I find big but not too big is good - 2-2.5 inches for the diamond, 1" for the center circle or dot.

to be honest I really cant stand shooting paper. I would much rather shoot rocks or something else.

If i have to shoot paper I like the smallest dot I can possibly see to shoot at, 100yds would be like at 1/4" shoot and see dot.

steve

I like a target that's graduated so I can immediately calculate the correction required to zero the rifle/scope system. I generally just print out a 1" grid using MS Word with a 5 Spot aiming area (the center and 4 diagonal adjoining squares blackened). I buff it up sometimes and add a few lines for ammo and weather data and in extreme cases I apply tape to the back before I shoot so I get a durable/re-enforced target to strip from the backer and keep in a log book.

Ian,
Check your email. I sent you a target I designed for myself several years back. It seams to fit the bill nicely for out to 300 yards.

dc

I have to draw mine by hand so I use rings. 1moa for the outside circle and around .75moa for the inner and color them red, and leave white on the inside. so even if a shot lands on the line i can still see it. I don't usally use anything bigger than 1moa because i think it's harder to notice if you move the rifle just before the shot's fired. "Aim small, miss small" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

[ QUOTE ]

Can you send me Pic's of your targets.
Redbone

[/ QUOTE ]

e-mail sent to you, Redbone. Let me know if you don't get it. My e-mail provider is having problems (again!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif)
dc

I would like to see what's working for you. I use MS Word and use various size diamonds. I try to stay around 1 MOA for the targets, but my highest magnification scope is 14x, so as the range increases, sometimes I have to use a little larger than 1 MOA target to get the best sight picture. At 500m bench, 535 yards is the actual yardage, I use about a 5.5" diamond to be able to see the bullseye the best. I want the smallest target I can see clearly.

I just use black squares. I dont like circles anymore, never tried diamonds. I try to stay around .75-moa squares. Makes bracketing the duplex easy, and also I like the smallest target that is clear for a good hold.

I shot about 23 different targets yesterday - different shapes, sizes and thicknesses of lines. Bottom line - my ideas where no good. Got two samples to try from members, both rated higher than any of mine on the test we did. Essentially I evaluated every design with the crosshairs and top circle in the reticle design at 100 yards, then the five that got the highest ratings were moved to 200 and repeat the test.

Now here is where I have a BIG problem. Dog Caller sent in a great design and one other fellow was good enough to send me his. Unfortunately my e-mail is barely operating, and I lost the second fellows e-mail (along with about 160 others). The target is a blue circle, interupted with vertical and horizontal breaks. Both the crosshair and circles in the BDC reticle worked well with these two.
Anyhow, I regret that I lost the e-mail with the good target - if the generous individual who sent it to me reads this could you send it again. I think I saved it in a folder, but damned if I know how to re-open the place I saved it. Plus, I shot the only copy I printed, so I don't gots no more.
Back to the drawing board, but getting closer.

We shot the T/C Benchmark at 100 and 200 yards yesterday with some very old .22 LR ammo. Had one group at 100 yards that had 7 out of 10 shots in about one inch. The Nikon BDC reticle worked well with the rimfires, plus I could see the bullets flying through the air easily with the 2.5-10 Monarch Gold scope I was using.

Official benchrest targets 100-200yd variety...Thick enough and plenty to shoot on each one... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.