Just curious gentlemen !

I bow hunt with a Bear recurve purchased in 1976 for $35 plus some cedar arrows. Switched to carbon arrows 3 years ago, use 3 blade broad heads. Muzzle load with a CVA inline bought for $130 in 1993. Deer hunt mainly with a 300 Savage model 99, gift from dad. Elk hunt with a Winchester model 70, 7mm mag, gift from dad. All my rifles are topped with old Texas made Weavers. My favorites are the post reticles 2.5-7x.
Lucky to be able to hunt whitetail from the house, sometimes from the front porch. No food plots, occasionally run a feeder if there are no acorns. 2 tree stands, one purchased one hand built, one ground blind. Never use scent block suits, use the wind and the rut. Do use scent eliminator spray on clothes and boots.
Occasionally buy little extras here and there like everyone does. But try to keep it simple as my main goal is meat in the freezer. But I do love to be outdoors hunting reguardless of the outcome.
Now if next week would just get here so I can apply online for next year elk hunt in Colorado.
By the way. I think I could throw an ear of field corn out front and have 20 deer on my porch. My evergreens are taking a beating this winter.

all that matters is you have fun doing it your way. I just got the long range bug when I was deployed to Iraq and got to see what Marine Corps snipers got to do and I was amazed! I was A Marine Corps Tanker so a computer calculated all of our shots for us. My first build was a savage switch barrel that costed 1/3 of one of the rifles I own now. I think you would have great enjoyment on adding precision long range hunting to your bag of tricks. Happy hunting

Like lots of other guys here I have pretty nice equipment. I typically try and save up for custom actions/barrels, McMillan stocks, Nightforce optics, Redding competition reloading dies, Leica binocs and rangefinder. Similar philosophy for my archery equipment, and some of that gear crosses over like binocs/rangefinders and all of my backpacking gear. I am very patient ... I just save up my money however long it takes. So the hardest part for me is not the cost, but rather the time it takes to become proficient with the rifles and bows I own. As everybody here knows a rifle is only as good as the guy shooting it.

I admire the time and dedication you guys put into your craft of taking game at long ranges. I myself prefer to get in close using still hunting, utilizing the wind and bedding areas. Guess it comes from my whitetail hunting heritage,
What I was curious about is exactly how much money do you have wrapped up in your shooting rigs? The gun, scope, range finder and anything else needed to take those kind of shots.

There not hunting, there shooting a hunter stalks his animals.

I admire the time and dedication you guys put into your craft of taking game at long ranges. I myself prefer to get in close using still hunting, utilizing the wind and bedding areas. Guess it comes from my whitetail hunting heritage,
What I was curious about is exactly how much money do you have wrapped up in your shooting rigs? The gun, scope, range finder and anything else needed to take those kind of shots.
It appears you are American so probably 30 percent less than i but. For me to go moose hunting. Aside from the 90,000 dollar truck and free travel trailer and 3000 bucks worth of fuel.my 308 ive got 2200 into spotting scope 550 and range finder 800 clains to be good to a mile. The furthest ive ever shot a moose was 907 yrds.couple hundred bucks worth of bullet's. But as stated by otheres the sky is the limit. Im just finishing up a lr rifle build that i intend to sell as a turnkey unit with 60 rnds of handloaded ammo for 5500 bucks i intend it to be capable of taking goat and sheep beyond 1000yrds. Ive seen similar builds by big name custom builders selling for as much as 15000$

For a no frills reliable 500yd rig $1000
A range finder is a must $350
Binoculars $400
Lots of range time and practice
You can spend $2000 and do some training use free software on your phone and learn to read the wind. You'll be infinitely better off than spending 5k plus for set up and no training minimal practice. My first prs type matches were shot with a used rem700p in 308 a fixed 10x leupold with mildot reticle and a **** load of practice. I didn't win any of those matches but was competitive. I was young and loved beating the high dollar guys. They had plenty of money to throw at the game but didn't practice like I had. I love the game but changed jobs began working too much overtime to practice like I needed and gave it up. I was glad I hadn't spent big money on a dust collector that only came out a few times a year. The nut behind the gun makes all the difference. Same as folks buying 4k ar-15 and not doing any practice or training. Most folks are better served with $1000 set up and lots of practice, no substitute for wind reading skill that makes all the difference and can only be learned with trigger time. Bullet drop is dialed it's easy to confirm drop the wind will make or break you past 300yd. Wind drift of 22lr at 100yd and 308 win at 300yd are really close and excellent cheaper practice.

I truly appreciate any hunter who can put in the time and practice enough to be proficient at ELR shooting and make an ethical shot. I thought I would be a hunter to do that also. However, now in my 50's the realization that you have to go retrieve your animal the extra 1/2 mile or more, then pack it back, I came back to my own reality. My rifle, original purchase, rebarrel,, and scope $1700.00. Optics $1500.00- used Vortex Viper 20-60×80 spotter, Vortex Viper 6.5-24 scope, Vortex viper 10-42 binos. Vortex Razor 4000 rangefinder, used $325.00. With my 338-06 Vortex reticle dead on to 700 yds. Would prefer flat land for the shot. Don't need to mortgage the house to shoot long range, or long range in your hunting world.