Just bought a .25-06 Now for the bullet

jayph

I have no idea where to start I never figured I would own a 25-06 but a good deal on a nice gun came along and now I own one. Its gonna be used for everything from antelope to both whitetail and mule deer. What is a good bullet to start with. I see that berger's 115 VLD with its high BC blows everything out of the water but am unsure of the twist rate of the rifle. There are a ton of bullets out there what are you other .25-06 guys using. TSX, Partition, Accubond, BTSP, SP, SST, among others?

Anybody know the twist rate in a older model 700 it has the BDL stock but a heavy barrel? I belive a 1975 model but has less than 120 rounds fired.

You lucky dog! I owned a rifle like that once but in .22-250. I had to float the barrel and adjust the trigger but it shot lights out after that. Those little Remy's are nice.
I have a .25-06 Sendero now and it loves the 100gn Ballistic Tips and the 100gn TSX (3200fps). My rifle puts these in the same hole. I have also shot the 110gn AccuBond and the 115gn Ballistic Tips and Bergers. They usually run about 3000-3100fps and anywhere from .3-.4". I haven't taken any deer with the later three but the first two bullets are absolutely deadly.
Pretty sure you'll have a 1-10 twist in that Remington. Good luck. Try RL22 if you have any. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.