judging yardage with duplex

Shufisher

What techniques do any of you guys use to judge distance using a scope with a duplex reticle? Using a 6.5-20 scope, I have used a target of known height and moved it to known distances, then upped the power until it filled the crosshairs up to the posts. (This is time consuming, and inconveinient if you don't have easy access to large tracks of land.) This worked great on a couple of prairie dog shoots, figuring dogs at 12" while standing. This got me to thinking (I should know better), what if a coyote or other varmint appeared at an unknown range, how would I judge a critter that didn't fit the 12" mold?

Thanks,

Shu

don't mean to be negative, but the best way to judge would be to buy a rangefinder. alot of guys on here that have mil dot don't even use those for range estimation, because once you get wayyyy out there a small mistake in range = a miss

good luck...

What he said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

In my opinion, a range finding reticle is just a backup. If the batteries go dead, I MIGHT use it. Probably not though. I'm sure some are good enough to get close, but not me.

What you need is the factory published info on the reticle you have... and the reticle subtension. From there you could figure it just like calculating a firing solution. For close range it will work fine, say, 500yds max. for further out... not a chance.

Just for something to do while glassing deer country, I came up with this:

The Yucca plants are in full bloom around here during deer season, and I found that their blooms are consistant in size, and fit the Leupold VX3 bracketing requirements well. I would pick a plant, bracket the bloom (horizontally), then note the range. I would then range it with a lazer. I was amazed at how close I could get with this method.

I thought it would be good to know in case of rangefinder failure, or fog (mine will not work in even light fog)

Aspen trees trunks are often very consistent in size in a general area.

If there is a herd of elk and only one bull it is often better to range three or four of the cows rather than the bull. This will get you "average size" better.

hold on... let me go measure a cow patty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shu, if u wanna use your reticle to measure different size tgts. it's very easy to apply the "modified mil-ranging" formula if u have the right tgt. size to stadia subtention relationship. To save time here i'm gonna copy a post we had on 24hourcampfire.com. Take a look at the 2 postings i put on there regarding the system--

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...p;page=1#877510

This system has a couple advantages over the "subtention change with magnification change" that a lot of guys use IMO.

Good to see your 12" pr. dog is working. FWIW Leupold uses a 7.3" std. for their pr. dog (2.33 MOA @ 300 yds.).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.