pull out yardage tape

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by 300spanker, Jun 13, 2010.

1. 300spanker

300spanker Well-Known Member

I just watched a stoney-point productions long range coyote hunting dvd. When he had a long shot he pulled out this tape mounted on the side of his scope and looked at his MOA need for each yardage in 50 yard increments. Who sells this retractible tape that mounts on your scope???gun)

2. jimbires

jimbires Well-Known Member

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

+1 for the leupold !

There are other brands but I like the Leupold best.

It is plastic (The tape is steel) and some object to plastic but I like it because it will not mark
    the scope.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

4. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

Does the tape come completely blank, devoid of any writing or lines or is it sectioned off with lines which one could fill in? Looks like it would be pretty neat.

5. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

It comes blank.

I used a piece of tape to lay out the yardage clicks first and when I got it laid out in a readable
    fashion then I copied it on the tape.

Depending on where your zero and max distance to shoot you will find Less is more.(Don't
    clutter it up with to much info.). I used 100 yard increments and it worked well.

If you make the information small and busy it will be hard to read under hunting conditions.

Enjoy

J E CUSTOM

6. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for responding J E. makes sense, good suggestion to lay out on piece of tape first rather than finding out you've run out of tape before you get it all to fit.

7. 300rum

300rum Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Yes the Leupold Retractable tape is best.
    For all my rifles, I just setup in Excell the spreadsheet with the Drop in MOA and printed to match the size of the Leupold Foil.
    I printed on Avery Adhesive paper (from Staples) and sticked to the metal foil.
    Works like a charm, and if you have to change the elevation, or hunting area , just remove the label and stick another one.
    Make sure you are printing with LASER PRINTER and not inkjet (the ink will wash out)

8. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

300rum, excellent information. Thank you for letting us know.

9. LRLeep

LRLeep Member

What are the other brands for the retractable charts. Can't find the leupold for sale anymore. Thx