Joining the club...

duckhunter175

Interested in joining the 7STW club-- have a few questions and I've worn out my GTS (google that ****)-- if you can help I'd sure appreciate it! I had a 7RUM before but it was a RH gun and I've slowly converted over to LH rifles.

I have a Rem 700 KS 7RM- best I can tell it is a 9.5" twist gun with a 24" magnaported barrel. I am looking to fill a niche between my .257wby and my .338wm. I'm considering having it re-chambered to 7STW (for budgets sake). Here are my questions--

1. 9.5" twist-- issues stabilizing a 168gr VLD? Or how about a 175gr Partition? I know most say 8" to 9" twist for heavier than 160s but with the flat base and shorter profile I was wondering if I could sneak up to a 175gr partition. It's heavier but still shorter by .07" than the 168VLD or 145LRX which were my other two considerations.

2. Brass- best place to find it? Any idea what brass companies like Choice, Doubletap or HSM are using?

3. If I did rebarrel completely will a 8" twist be too fast for a 145 or 168? I like the idea of having a lighter game load and a heavier game load.

1.) You should have no problem stabilizing a 168 VLD.

2.) Best place to find brass is anywhere on the internet that has it in stock. I recommend Nosler brass.

3.) If you rebarrel completely, have the action blueprinted before they reinstall the new barrel. An 8" twist will handle anything from 140 up to 200 grain bullets.

When I put a new barrel on my STW, I went with a 1:8 twist so I could shoot the heavier bullets. My old barrel with a 1:9.5 twist shot the 175 gr Partitions just fine, but would not fully stabilize the 175gr ELDX. The new barrel has no issues shooting 140 gr bullets whatsoever.
Buy Nosler brass. I've found Grafs & Sons have one of the best prices when they have it in stock, and you can find blem brass at Shooters Pro Shop for an excellent price.
You'll love this cartridge

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.