JBM ballistics drop table ???

Straight Shooter

I did a drop table for my 6.5 creedmoor and then went out and shot it at 300 yards. According to my velocity, correct BC, and other pertinent info it says my drop at 300 yards should be 12.9 inches. It is actually 10.5 inches. Does my 20 MOA rail factor in or what else could be the problem? Thanks in advance.

No it's off your zero. You rail just gives you more travel in the erector of the scope.

chances are you muzzle velocity is off if all else is correct. BC isn't even worth looking at as it doesn't come into play until around transonic.

You need to change the muzzle velocity until it matches your 2 and 300y drop.

No it's off your zero. You rail just gives you more travel in the erector of the scope.

chances are you muzzle velocity is off if all else is correct. BC isn't even worth looking at as it doesn't come into play until around transonic.

You need to change the muzzle velocity until it matches your 2 and 300y drop.
Or it coul
I did a drop table for my 6.5 creedmoor and then went out and shot it at 300 yards. According to my velocity, correct BC, and other pertinent info it says my drop at 300 yards should be 12.9 inches. It is actually 10.5 inches. Does my 20 MOA rail factor in or what else could be the problem? Thanks in advance.
Scope height and calibration could account for some of it, but that's a fair amount of variation at that range.

The bullet doesn't lie. If that's the case then your zero is off. It has nothing to do with the rail. When it comes to this stuff it does matter that much about the chrono. What's the MV? What's the drop in moa from 2, 3 and 4?

^ or as elkaholic put, it could be another input.

Either your bullet is screaming, or you have an erroneous input. Or you scope has some ridiculous error. If you can screen shot your trajectory card, and post it to the thread we could probably see what we see.

Thanks alcoholic, I never knew how to do that.

Attachments

• 20200709_164134.jpg
    20200709_164134.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 388
Zero is right on. MV is 2725 fps with a 140 hornaday BTHP with a BC of .580. Really has me scratching my head.

Its beacuse there is theoretical data & real life data.

I dont trust ballistic calculators as there are more/other factors involved they dont know about & I make a drop chart for actuall number by actually shooting those distances at as close to zero altitude.
Then allowing for the variance of altitue/barometric pressure depending on where I am.

Last edited:
BC isn't even worth looking at as it doesn't come into play until around transonic.
That's funny right there!
Where did you get that notion?

BC is tied to drag, which changes every single inch of bullet travel (not just one region near Mach1).
Now BC itself can be stable throughout, but ONLY if your drag table is custom correct for the bullet.
Maybe 1 in 250,000 shooters have actually tested, created, and built special software to use a custom drag curve.

OP, have you accounted for higher temperatures than the bullet's BC is based on. Most bullet BCs are based on an atmospheric standard like ICAO, Std Metro, or Std. Army. All three at 59degF

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.