G7 vs. JBM ballistics calculator

Hey guys I am having some issues with ballistics calculators. I'm Hoping someone else has ran into this same problem and can help me out.

So I have been using Ballistic: Standard edition on my phone which is ran off JBM. When shooting my data for my 7mm with 168 berger VLD's chronyd at 3045fps with a 300 yard zero.. this program was telling me to dial 10.6Moa at 750yards, and 18.9Moa at 1025yards and I was continuously hitting low, even when I tweaked my velocity to make it hit at one distance, my second distance would be off.

I went on to G7 and used their calculator putting in all the exact same info, bc, muzzle vel. alt, temp, ect.. and their calculator tells me to dial 11.6 Moa at 750yards, and 21.3 at 1025. when I dialed both of these numbers and shot data they hit dead on.

Here's the real kicker. I entered the bc and muzzle velocity from my dads 300 ultramag into both of these programs, and I left all environmental data alone. Both programs spit out the same numbers for his rifle.

My concern isn't being able to hit. I trust the G7 program, and it seems to be right on the money for my gun, and I'm more than happy to use that program. My question is how can two top end programs with all the exact same data entered spit out almost 2.5moa difference at 1000 yards?

Please note: I have tried to tweak velocities, bc. and environmental data in the Ballistics app, and nothing I have tried makes it match the G7 calculator. if I get one distance to match then my other distance was off. I invite anyone to play with these two programs and different calculators and see if they experience the same thing I did.

I had the same issue getting the same data with Ballistic FTE compared to the G7 which was nuts on. I started to use Shooter a few years ago and it matches perfectly with the G7 with three different rifles.

I had the same issue getting the same data with Ballistic FTE compared to the G7 which was nuts on. I started to use Shooter a few years ago and it matches perfectly with the G7 with three different rifles.

Oh, goody, I've been using Shooter on my phone. I'll have to take a look at G7 to see what it says.

I have tried using both G1 and G7 bc, didn't seem to make a big difference.

I downloaded shooter and tried it. At first it gave me the same numbers that JBM had. But I was able to tweak the bc a substantial amount and make it fit pretty close to the data that G7's program put out. (tweaked bc from .617 to .492 G1 bc.) something just isn't adding up.

Both jbm, shooter and G7 use the same basic solver so if you a large discrepancy between them you have an input issue and if you have to tweek a Berger g7 number in shooter for 1000 yards you have an issue with an input.

Both jbm, shooter and G7 use the same basic solver so if you a large discrepancy between them you have an input issue and if you have to tweek a Berger g7 number in shooter for 1000 yards you have an issue with an input.

I have also found this to be the case. The Bergers are very close, particularly the Liitz values. If impacts are off I look to velocity, zero, or atmospheric iinputs.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.