Ivey 150 moa adjustable scope rings.....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
TO all,

A couple months ago I ordered in a set of Ivey adjustable scope rings to evaluate for a future project a couple of my customers, you know then as Lerch and BJ, want me to build for them. Seems they want to go after the world record varmint kill which I believe is 3144 yards.

Well, the obvious problem is getting enough vertical adjustment to get the crosshair to catch up with the bullet drop at nearly 2 miles which is where the boys will be trying to make a kill at, hey, if your gonna break a record, why not REALLY break the record /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Anyway, being in the 50 BMG crowd, I had seen several advertisments for an adjustable scope mounting system that offered up to 150 moa of vertical adjustment in the base and rings alone.

There are two designs from this company called Ivey. One is a once piece rail type which piggy-backs onto another 1913 type rail. There is a micrometer adjustment at the rear of the rail which controls the vertical adjustment. There are also lock rings to fix or release the front and rear pivot for adjustment.

The only problem I say with this system was the extreme height needed for it. You would have to add a set of tactical style rings on top of this rail base which would be on top of another rail base........

Well, I noticed they had come out with another design which was simply a set of rings that would mount directly onto a rail type base. They are still high but half what the other system would be.

I decided to order in a set and when I called to order them I told them what we were doing. They said they would do their best to make the system as tight as possible for the best repeatability possible. They say that 1 moa repeatability is there guideline but if they really made the adjustments tight this would be reduced but at an expense of being able to turn the micrometer adjustment easily because of the tight fit.

Well, they came in a couple weeks ago and my first impression was very good. They were very solidly built and eveything was a very quality fit. Very impressive machining in the set of rings I got in.

396253.jpg

This pic shows the system mounted on my 338 Kahn and in the 0 moa setting. To mount the front and rear rings much be set up at a certain distance apart with matches a 1913 rail mount perfectly so this is really easy to do.

Then to make an adjustment you unlock the lock adjustment on each ring, dial in your wanted moa increase with the micrometer adjustment on the rear ring, lock down the ring locks again and go to it.

The micrometer adjustment is clearly marked in moas very similiar to a Redding Comp reloading die.

396257.jpg

This pic shows the Iveys in full 150 MOA adjustment. You can see that with any sun shade on at all you need the height that the rings provide to clear the barrel.

396259.jpg

This is a little closer view of the micrometer adjustment on the rear ring.

I have not had a chance to get out and rang test these rings yet. Will be doing so soon but I suspect for what we are going to be using them for they will work fine. Basically to allow us to get out to very extreme range with the course adjustment and then fine tune things with the scopes own adjustments.

We will see. They are not cheap, I believe they were a bit over $350 but I would have to check the invoice on that. All in all, first impression is very good and they seem to be a very quality product. We will see if that opinion holds up while range testing!!

One thing I would like to change and probably will would be to replace the three spur lock levers with either a longer one arm lever or a hex head lock nut so that a torque wrench could be used to tighten after adjustment.

The single lever like those found on most QD ring systems would also allow more leverage to lock the rings down. This may not be needed, we will see when testing.

Just wanted to post some pics of the rings.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

HMMMMMMMMMMM

I think I have seen that system somewhere before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby you are such a freakin tease. FIrst you show off my rifles big holed twin and then you show off my rings!!!!

Tell BAT to hurry up, I wanna shoot this **** thing!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am ready to see if this system works as good as we hope

take it easy
steve

[ QUOTE ]
Tell BAT to hurry up, I wanna shoot this **** thing!!

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't going to hurry because I sent them $50.00 to delay your project so mine would move up one slot. I'm a sneaky dog. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The project that goes with this particular mounting system will have several "new" compenents and we will all see them as they come along. This particualr project simply made mine possible.

The rule of gunsmiths as I have been told is that --if your gunsmith is not busy and backed up why is he your gunsmith.

Shooting some little potbellied,flea scratching, dirt digging gopher rat at distances better measured in miles than yards will be some accomplishement to achieve.

Kirby, I sure am glad that you posted this. I was about to purchase some of the Barrett Adjustable Rings but for the life of me, I couldn't see how one would benefit without being able to MEASURE the increase in MOA elevation adjustment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I'm glad that I haven't placed an order yet!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

KUDOS TO YOU, as usual! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KEEP US INFORMED about these rings!!!

Holy Crap, IVEY is in Murfreesboro, TN!!! That's about one hour from me.......and they do custom orders!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Kirby, I need your exact ring set, but with a rear recoil lug for my CZ550!!! They will make custom sets as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kirby, JFYI, I haven't forgot about you! As I was considering you building me a Kahn on my CZ550 Safari Mag for a more "totable" extreme range rifle for elk, I have recently reevaluated calibers. With the recent release of the .416 Barrett, and the up and coming High-BC, LR bullets for that caliber, I think that I may leave the CZ in it's original caliber (.416 Rigby, besides I have Rigby dies already) but possibly rebarrel to a Match barrel. I just measured the groove length of the Safari action, and it matches the 5.47" outside to outside length required to get the rings to perform properly! The only possible thing that would be required to make these rings fit is to mill four grooves in the top of the receiver for the cross bolts! I'm stoked!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I think I may make a trip to see them SOON, maybe even Monday since I will be in the Nashville area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
TO all,

One thing I would like to change and probably will would be to replace the three spur lock levers with either a longer one arm lever or a hex head lock nut so that a torque wrench could be used to tighten after adjustment.

The single lever like those found on most QD ring systems would also allow more leverage to lock the rings down. This may not be needed, we will see when testing.

Just wanted to post some pics of the rings.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

HERE YOU GO, it appears that they changed their design, JUST FOR YOU!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IMG_73.jpg

MC,

Thats how they are pictured on their web site but not how they come in the box. Maybe you can order them with the longer levers. Would be much better in my opinion. Will have to look into that.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
MC,

Thats how they are pictured on their web site but not how they come in the box. Maybe you can order them with the longer levers. Would be much better in my opinion. Will have to look into that.

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

The levers WOULD be better, but gee-wiz do they ever stick out!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

IMG_13.jpg

mind: are you going to use Rigby brass or 338 LM brass?

I have heard the rigby brass is to soft for high pressure loads, while the lapua can withstand a real beating.

Or, better yet, use chey-tac brass..

Norhman,

I believe MC is using the 416 Rigby chamber. While this cartridge has the same basic head diameter as the 338 Lapua, it is much longer then the 338 Lapua so the 338 Lapua can not be used to make the 416 Rigby cases.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby is correct, I have the original .416 Rigby (elephant rifle) chambering, and the case is .176" longer than the Lapua case. I have 200 pieces of Norma brass that I have been loading to MAX loads according to the Barnes manual with no pressure signs at all (soft Federal 215M primers too!). I was shooting the 325gr. X bullets at 2875fps with 110grs. of RL-22 (25" barrel), however Barnes has discontinued the 325gr. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Now, what I am actually considering is to take the new TSX in 400gr. and actually cut a nice boat-tail on the base of each of them. They'll probably wind up weighing 370grs. or so, but the BC will be much higher than the factory flat based TSX's BC of .546. Now, I just need a computer program to compute the new BC # for the improved shape, for some good drop charts.......and the Ivey Rings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JFYI, I have heard that the NEW .416 Rigby Brass offered by Jamison International Brass is redesigned to the same pressure limits as the .338 Lapua. I heard that from the Accurate Reloading Forums---more specifically, "RIP" who has visited Mark Jamison's place and had some good talks with him. I may need to try some of those if I notice my Norma's primer pockets getting loose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.