It Ain’t a Speciality Handgun.....But

memtb

I've been trying to get my 460 XVR (8 3/8") to give me good accuracy, and good velocities with my "homegrown" cast 400 grain bullets. Presently, I'm getting approximately 1440 fps.....which I'm good with. But, extraction is a bit sticky! Will be dropping back a little on the charge.....hoping to keep decent accuracy, without loosing too much velocity!

The group pictured was shot @ 100 yards, using a 3 mil dot Reflex Sight. I'm happy with 4 of the 5 shots, but.....this is almost identical to a previous group. 4 together and throw the 5th. I didn't think to mark the chambers and determine if the same chamber is throwing the shot. Of course, it may very well be the "nut behind the trigger"! Next groups will be with marked chambers.

My goal is a 150 yard hunting handgun! I'm not there yet.....but, I see light at the end of the tunnel! memtb

oLg0oNJl.jpg

Shoot I never mentioned my load . It's a home poured Keith style wad cutter weighing 235 gr over 20 gr of win 296. Haven't chronograph it but it shoots pretty decent and puts a hole through and through. Ended up back up shooting 3 bears last year harvested by kids all at close range like mere feet . But it penetrates like hot knife through butter

Shoot I never mentioned my load . It's a home poured Keith style wad cutter weighing 235 gr over 20 gr of win 296. Haven't chronograph it but it shoots pretty decent and puts a hole through and through. Ended up back up shooting 3 bears last year harvested by kids all at close range like mere feet . But it penetrates like hot knife through butter

That's the beauty of heavy, cast bullets.....they just don't now how to stop! Many people are clueless as to how well a big, slow moving cast bullet can kill!

I've only killed an Antelope and a bear with a handgun.....back in the '80's. And have been away from my handguns since then...but, am trying to get back into it.

I'd sure like to knock down an elk this next season! memtb

That would be sweet too. I carry my pistol a lot hound hunting for bears just to back up with if needed. I've tried to recover one of the hard cast bullets from an animal with no luck yet . Did dig one out of the ground last year it went roughly 26" into the dirt.

After much research, and a few conversations, I believe that I'll likely send my cylinder to a gentleman that specializes in "truing" and polishing cylinder throats. And will also true the Lee FL Collet Crimp Die. These things are "supposed" to help make the revolver as good as it can be......the rest is on me! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.