Is This The 7MM Custom Year?

Qrachel

Hi Folks:

Last year I searched, well mostly read/chatted on the internet and talked to my LGS 'til everyone was disgusted with me, and tried to decide if a 7MM (i.e. Rem 280, 280AI, or 7MM WSM) made sense for CA/AR/UT/MT/CO . . . etc. deer/elk, plus some long range shooting for fun. I didn't resolve anything and so I bought a nice 30-06 Tikka, scoped it with a 3x15 NF, and off I went, almost.

I haven't shot the '06 that much, maybe 150 rounds but on a good day I can get a sub-moa 4-shot group at 100 yds. It's a solid rifle and a good purchase. Anyway, I got pneumonia and didn't go. I'm thinking about going again - still, yet . . .

Still, I always thought the 7MMs were the thoroughbreds of the 25-30 caliber offerings (my fantasy at least), and that candy store is chuck-full of interesting goodies. So, I'm seriously thinking about putting down an order for a custom 280AI. I think I can do quite well for <$5K, scoped and could shoot it without a muzzle brake with maybe a Pacmayr or Limb Saver - the '06 was fine. I'm also considering the Vortex PST EBR-2C MRAD, which looks like a great glass for <$1,000 to scope it with.

Sooo, there you have it. Sorry I've been quiet for quite a while but life has been busy.

Rachel

Rachel,

Sorry to hear you're unable to go last season, hopefully this year would be a success ... good luck and God bless on your upcoming hunting season and build.

Be prepared to get inundated again on your build query. :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

However, I just want to say that there's absolutely nothing wrong with your .30-06 purchase --- keep the rifle's capability and your ability within limits; have the right load and other gear to augment the intended shot/target; practice, practice, practice ... and you're golden.

Cheers!

Ed

Rachel,

Sorry to hear you're unable to go last season, hopefully this year would be a success ... good luck and God bless on your upcoming hunting season and build.

Be prepared to get inundated again on your build query. :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

However, I just want to say that there's absolutely nothing wrong with your .30-06 purchase --- keep the rifle's capability and your ability within limits; have the right load and other gear to augment the intended target; practice, practice, practice ... and you're golden.

Cheers!

Ed
Spot on. As big of a fan as I am about a 284 caliber, FEENIX summed it up. If you have a great shooting 06, shoot it! Good shooting to ya!

DT

Rachel,

However, I just want to say that there's absolutely nothing wrong with your .30-06 purchase --- keep the rifle's capability and your ability within limits; have the right load and other gear to augment the intended shot/target; practice, practice, practice ... and you're golden.

Cheers!

Ed

Couldn't have said it better myself.
I don't see much gain In the 7 compared to the 30-06 at any practical range. (Oh boy! I'm going to get flamed on that one. Haha)until you get up to the large capacity 7's. I would keep the 06 and when you think you need to shoot farther than its capabilities I would step up to a large capacity 30 cal of some flavor.

Last edited:
Couldn't have said it better myself.
I don't see much gain I the 7 compared to the 30-06 at any practical range. (Oh boy! I'm going to get flamed on that one. Haha)
Until you get up to the large capacity 7mm cartridges. I would keep the 06 and when you think you need to shoot farther than its capabilities I would step up to a large capacity 30 cal of some flavor.

Uh Oh!!! Like you said, you do know the fire is coming!! Hold on!! Lol

What the heck !!!! hear goes.

If you want to keep the 30/06, do. it is a fine caliber/cartridge capable of taking almost everything on this continent.

If you want to use it as a donor the 280 or 280 AI would be an easy choice and require only a barrel change.

If you intend to shoot heavy bullets in whatever 7mm you decide, I would recommend a good muzzle brake.

The short magnums are also a good choice but require more thought to build and to have a performer.

I like all of the 7mm cartridges for deer hunting and have many so I wont get into the recommending flurry, I will just say have fun deciding and building your rifle.

J E CUSTOM

.30/06 is a very capable rifle. Sounds like you have a good setup that dialed in. Go enjoy it. FWIW I harvested a wonderful doe yesterday with my Winchester model 70 classic stainless with a BOSS at 421 yards using a 230g Berger OTM for another DRT. It shoots that bullet at 2440 and sub-MOA. I've had this particular rifle for 19 years and have used it with excellent effect. I have racy .30 magnums, 6.5's of multiple discriptions, and I keep coming back to my "old reliable .30/06". What's not to love? It's light, it's accurate, hits hard, and recoil is not a problem at all. The 280 is just a blown out and necked down .30/06 so it's hard not to love that round either... Have fun!!

Flatter shooting cartridges are definitely an advantage. But anyone who shoots long range should have a rangefinder so I think if you know your range and your dope and have the energy left in you bullet to kill. Then I think flat trajectory is some what overrated on anything past 400 yards.

Serious! If you have your heart set on a 284 caliber, with the setup you have now. My vote goes to the 280 AI. Like was posted earlier, just rebarrel what you have now an shoot. Just my 2cts! Good shooting to ya.

DT

I would keep your .30-06, as it is a fine caliber, as well as build another custom (you can't have too many). One of my customs is a .30-06 AI and it's fun to shoot.

But if you want flatter, faster, and harder hitting, then I would build a 7mm RemMag with a good muzzle break on it, and it will kick about like a .243. With the 7mm RemMag, you will gain about 150-200 fps in velocity over a .280 AI (which is also an excellent caliber).

Just my opinion.

Nobody else has commented on this in 2.5 hours... I guess I gave them all heart attacks by telling her to keep the .30-06... :D:D:D

Rachel

A couple of thoughts for you.

A buddy of mine acquired a factory Kimber 280AI last Spring for use hunting this past Fall. (He got a nice muley and pronghorn with it.)

Anyway, it is one of the super light Montana's or such models. His other rifle is a 300 RUM. Turns out the 280AI kicked the crap out of him when we were working up loads. Keep in mind his Rem 700 in 300 RUM was without muzzle brake and he had no problem with that so in your new custom rifle - don't go too light or you won't like it.

Better yet, (this is my real point) put a muzzle brake on whatever you go with. It makes any gun much more fun to shoot and you have a chance of spotting your own shots. In my opinion the issue of muzzle blast with a brake is bogus. You should not shoot any high powered rifle without hearing protection. I say this having hunted most of my life without hearing protection (and without a muzzle brake) and now I'm pretty much deaf in the left ear (which faces the blast if you are right handed).

Coni Brooks (co-owned Barnes bullets until recently) uses a 338 Win mag exclusively. She has a muzzle brake on the rifle and says it kicks about like a 270 Win. If you can handle an unbraked 30-06 you could handle that so... if you allow for using a brake, you could expand your possible caliber choices all the way up to the 338 Win Mag!

Lastly, I have a Vortex Viper PST in 6 X 24. I have a lot of scopes on a lot of rifles but it is one of my favorites. I think it is an excellent choice to stick on a 280 AI. I have mine sitting on a semi-custom 7mm WSM.

I would keep your .30-06, as it is a fine caliber, as well as build another custom (you can't have too many). One of my customs is a .30-06 AI and it's fun to shoot.

But if you want flatter, faster, and harder hitting, then I would build a 7mm RemMag with a good muzzle break on it, and it will kick about like a .243. With the 7mm RemMag, you will gain about 150-200 fps in velocity over a .280 AI (which is also an excellent caliber).

Just my opinion.

Got to agree with everything said. You will never hear me say anything bad about the 30-06, fine caliber! I've shot a 7mm mag for over 40 yrs, I love em, every gun vault needs a good 7 mag in it. Only reason I voted for the 280 AI was she already has the action an everything, just rebarrel. However, MudRunner you are right, a person can never have to many customs. Oh. I really like the way you done your 25-06 AI in the old remington stock. Very classy. I'm doin a 7 mag in one now!

DT

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.