Is this brass ruined?

FatOldMIHunter

warpedshoulders.jpg

The shoulder of the case on the left is crinkled. I'm not sure how well it shows up on the image, but the case on the right is smooth all around the shoulder. The case on the left is more like an octagonal cone. I'm assuming that if I reload and fire it, it will form to the walls of my chamber, but I'm wondering if this is a bad idea. Is this a symptom of over-annealing?

I received these cases from a friend. I don't think they've been fired more than 2-3 times. So far, about 15% of the cases are crinkled. Cases that were smooth before full-length sizing stayed smooth and cases that were crinkled stayed crinkled. I did not anneal them. They were like this when I received them. If it matters, they are 7mm RM brass made by Remington. I've never seen anything like it on any of my other cases.

View attachment 174411
The shoulder of the case on the left is crinkled. I'm not sure how well it shows up on the image, but the case on the right is smooth all around the shoulder. The case on the left is more like an octagonal cone. I'm assuming that if I reload and fire it, it will form to the walls of my chamber, but I'm wondering if this is a bad idea. Is this a symptom of over-annealing?

I received these cases from a friend. I don't think they've been fired more than 2-3 times. So far, about 15% of the cases are crinkled. Cases that were smooth before full-length sizing stayed smooth and cases that were crinkled stayed crinkled. I did not anneal them. They were like this when I received them. If it matters, they are 7mm RM brass made by Remington. I've never seen anything like it on any of my other cases.
It appears that to much lube was used for sizing if they chamber up okay you should be fine loading and fire forming

Too much lube is obvious but oversized belted magnums can be a problem by the third fireing. Make sure they dont have a ring around the case just above the belt.

Too much lube is obvious but oversized belted magnums can be a problem by the third fireing. Make sure they dont have a ring around the case just above the belt.

I'm not sure what you mean by a ring. The sizing die doesn't go all the way to the belt, so there is a shiny area just above the belt.

Just use the "paperclip" trick for checking the inside of the case for rough spots just above the belt. If you have rough spots it could be the beginning of the end for that particular case.

Just use the "paperclip" trick for checking the inside of the case for rough spots just above the belt. If you have rough spots it could be the beginning of the end for that particular case.

So these rough spots are an indication of the case being crushed by the die or something? How many firings can I expect on these Remington cases? I also have Federal, Winchester, and Herters cases I could use.

So these rough spots are an indication of the case being crushed by the die or something? How many firings can I expect on these Remington cases? I also have Federal, Winchester, and Herters cases I could use.
Sorry for not supplying an answer directly to your question. The shoulder problem would have nothing to do with what I suggested. It's just a simple method to get a reading on a possible case separation.

I,ve got a few cases on thier 10th fireing but have lost them in 3. The ring is caused by the brass being resized too much and when fired again it stretches the brass just above the belt.....leaaving the front part in chamber and the head on your bolt.

With belted magnums you have to be careful about full length sizing. As you full length size and trim
the case it gets thinner above the belt; next thing you know you have a head separation. Don't size
where you push the shoulder down.
Zeke

There is a possibility that it's not an excess lube issue.
If prior user was over bumping shoulders, and over trimming, and running a mild to mid pressure load, gas blow-back could have been getting momentarily and intermittently trapped between case shoulders and chamber shoulder.
If he was consistent with this action, you could see multiple dents, as prior dents were not fully knocking back out with lower pressure firing and repeated blow-back countering.

Then this immediately brings the prior mentioned potential of case head separations, because of the over-bumping and lack of case-chamber gripping.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.