Is this a diseased rabbit liver?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by medic11, Apr 13, 2013.

1. medic11

medic11 Member

I live in the San Antonio area and shot a rabbit this morning. The eyes, mouth, skin and gums look healthy. As I was gutting him I noticed two white spots on his liver. They are hard or calused, not soft or discolored liver tissue.

Is this a sign of disease or are they stones of some sort? Can I eat this little guy without throwing up my own liver? All other organs look healthy.

Attached Files:

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Looks like a tumor, I see them in deer all the time not always cancerous. Everyone of use has cancer, its just that our bodies kill it most of the time. If its something else I could not tell you what it was.

3. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Yeah, eat the rabbit. Toss the liver.

That liver looks a ton better than mine does. If you threw my liver in a garbage can it would make a big bang. Hard as a rock! :rolleyes:

4. outback andy

outback andy Active Member

Thanks for the good infor, if someone ever finds a bad liver post it here.

5. Old Hickory

Old Hickory Well-Known Member

I thought I should drag this up from long ago, considering what is usually involved with white spots on rabbit livers.

I always wear rubber gloves while cleaning rabbits and always discard the entire rabbit if I see even one white spot. Getting " rabbit fever " isn't worth the gamble.

6. jeye78

jeye78 New Member

In two of the pictures all I see is the rabbits gallbladder. You can cut that out and liver is fine.

7. Waynzee

Waynzee Well-Known Member

I agree, when in doubt throw it out! I would not eat that Rabbit but do what ya want.

8. grizz1874

grizz1874 Member

I also would toss it, but that is just my opinion. i won't eat any rabbit with even one spot on the liver. myxomatosis (sp)

9. Waynzee

Waynzee Well-Known Member

Just curious did you eat that rabbit ? If you did and got sick and don't answer right away I'll guess you got real sick.

10. Buckskinner

Buckskinner Well-Known Member

Your going to cook it, right??? I think you will be fine eating that rabbit.

FYI, Myxomatosis is not harmful to humans. As a matter of fact, they are experimenting with it for cancer treatments. Apparently it just goes after cancer cells...