Is there such a thing as, "too much scope"?

.375-.338

7mm Rem fireformed/necked up to .375 works.
View attachment 446407

Drill & tap Ruger M77 MKII for a pic EGW rail then reflex sight or other.
Ballistics with 270 grain spbt or 250 gr. spbt are sort of like a .308 with 165's or 168's so a scope would be nice for longer ranges.

That should be a "sweet" little cartridge!

While sorta on the subject of shorter range, fast handling stuff…..that should be a nice cartridge for a lever gun such as a Browning BLR! 😉 memtb

Last edited:
For me I like something in the 3-18 power for hunting. I run a Kahles 3.6-18 FFP on my 308 and a Kahles 6-24 FFP on my 7RM. Honestly a 3-18 would do just fine on the 7RM but I got a good deal on the 6-24. Closer range hunting / thicker brush, trees I prefer an SFP optic in a 2-10 mag range. Anything more than that I want an FFP optic. 2x-4x on the low end is ideal for a hunting optic imo and more so what dictates an optic choice for me when choosing.

Last edited:
I fully understand and even embrace the instructional benefit of iron sights. But the ease of use of any modern holo, red dot, reflex, etc combined with proven durability makes them an easy choice now. An 1895 in 45-70 with a red dot is an absolute brush monster. No concerns over lack of penetration there, and depending on the sling setup easier to handle than a 44 Mag revolver.

An LPVO in a 1-6 or 1-8 paired with a red dot is a nice combo. Turn the LPVO up to 4-5x and use the red dot for this close up quick shots.

memtb, that is a good one, "We don't use heavy scopes…..as our long-range shooting is rather short".

Some of the latest and greatest scopes coming out now have some serious heft to them.

I had a 7 STW Sendeo size tube, action in a Rem Laminate stock, and a great muzzle break on it. The scope kept moving back in the rings. The scope went fuzzy on me, sent it back to Burris with their FOREVER warranty. They said the scope was ruined as a lens was cracked, the muzzle blast was pretty good on this round and the scope moving in the rings did the damage. I surmise that the concussion broke the lens? Burris exchanged the Black Diamond with their best scope on the market, and I am very happy.

I went to using some darn good rings and bases.

Wow…..scope damage from a relatively heavy, braked rifle, which should give minimal recoil! It seems that scope definitely had "fragile" internal components!

Deriving this from a previous post of yours …..the rifle recoil (especially if it has high recoil impulse speed) is very hard on a scope with heavy internals. Those internals really want to remain "stationary" while everything else is moving rearward at a high rate of speed! If those internals do not have very good integrity……something is gonna break!

Along with the high cost of a high quality long range (higher powered) scope coupled with the much increased weight…..I guess that I'll "NEVER" get into the long range "hunting" game! 😉 memtb

Wow…..scope damage from a relatively heavy, braked rifle, which should give minimal recoil! It seems that scope definitely had "fragile" internal components!

Deriving this from a previous post of yours …..the rifle recoil (especially if it has high recoil impulse speed) is very hard on a scope with heavy internals. Those internals really want to remain "stationary" while everything else is moving rearward at a high rate of speed! If those internals do not have very good integrity……something is gonna break!

Along with the high cost of a high quality long range (higher powered) scope coupled with the much increased weight…..I guess that I'll "NEVER" get into the long range "hunting" game! 😉 memtb

I agree. If your scope can't hold its zero / functionality during recoil, you need a better quality optic / mount / rings.

Too much scope IMO could mean 2 things, bulk........

This, in my opinion, is where hunters miss it. I watch hunting show after hunting show and see the "TV Hunters"lugging around a big, massive 6-24x50..... and I scratch my head and ponder... there is no way they are hiking 6-10 miles a day with that optic on their gun, climbing around the Rockies at 8-10,000 ft elevation.

I have always been a 3-9x40 guy. I have that scope on 4 of my bolt actions. Only recently, am I going with something different..... only because it is very light and reasonably compact.

The Leupold 4.5-14x40 is my next purchase and it will go on a 6.5 PRC.

Just my two cents. I prefer an ultra light mountain rifle and a compact, light scope.

'cause.... I'm 55 yo and I ain't getting younger. 1 to 2 extra pounds on a gun is something a hunter definitely feels at the end of the day..... sometimes at the middle of the day.

Here's my mountain setup,338NM,3-24X50 MARCH.Ive side hilled from the back snow area probably 20 times.This day I was 58, and covered 14.4 mile and over 3000vert up, then down This is right at my max.
IMG_3369.jpeg

Here's my mountain setup,338NM,3-24X50 MARCH.Ive side hilled from the back snow area probably 20 times.This day I was 58, and covered 14.4 mile and over 3000vert up, then down This is right at my max.View attachment 446517

It appears to be a reasonable hunting rig….. What is it's total weight…..all- up including bipod? memtb

Last edited:
1) The 5-25 ATACR fits this rifle, and purpose well.

2) 2-12 Leupold is a little much for this rifle. Good for putting together loads, but something like a 1-4x or 1-6 will likely be a better choice.

Attachments

• IMG-0402 (1).jpg
    IMG-0402 (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG-0454 (1).jpg
    IMG-0454 (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
Maybe I missed the premise of your question.
I suppose there are other factors, weight, length and maybe cost?
Oh yeah. Cost, weight, length are certainly important. As scope options go up, so does cost. Thinking about things such as: magnification power, parallax adjustment options, optical focus, locking turrets, ffp or sfp, exposed or closed turrets, lighted reticle, reticle type, and a few others. When you consider all this, what makes sense for you? Is this all necessary for a hunting or target scope? How about your eyes and your health overall? This consideration list gets long real quick. It can be challenging to pick put the right one. It boils down to what you want and how are you going to use it? Hope this helped to explain where I'm going with this.

Thanks for the clarification.

I think those choices are certainly different for each individual.

For me, the older I get, the more I like
  • Higher magnification range (current highest is 4-32x)
  • Better glass quality (Swaro, NF and higher end Leupold)
  • Less weight (prefer under 30oz)
  • Illuminated reticle
  • Locking turrets.