Is there any such thing as affordable sheep hunting?

Discussion in 'Sheep Hunting' started by 82ndreddevil, Dec 27, 2011.

1. 82ndreddevil

82ndreddevil Well-Known Member

I am wanting to try some type of sheep hunting in the next couple of years. Here in NM there is probably a total of 10 Bighorn Ram tags available for the draw, so I am not considering that a real opportunity. We also have Persian Ibex, which is a once in a lifetime draw if you can get the tag. They also have a year round tag you can buy, but it means you cant hunt in the areas they are at. So is there anywhere a person can go to hunt these types of exotics without paying a year's salary or hunting them within a caged area outside of their own enviroment?

2. alpinehunter

alpinehunter Well-Known Member

Affordable is probably a relative term but yes there are ways around spending a medium fortune to hunt sheep. Start buying preference points in other states. It is very inexpensive and in 10 or so years you will be able to hunt a nice sheep. Awesome sheep areas may take a bit longer to draw. My recommendation is to put away $500+ a year every time you buy a sheep point. Then you will either have expense money for the trip or a healthy chunk for a guided hunt. Happy sheep hunting :)

3. 3rivers

3rivers Member

Move to alberta i can hunt one every year and since im a youth it only costs me $65:)

4. alpinehunter

alpinehunter Well-Known Member

Nice!!! Can you get a sheep every year or is it pretty tough?

5. 3rivers

3rivers Member

well i sheep hunt every year but i have never shot one yet. i have never actually seen a legal ram yet because i hunt in a full curl zone and i have been in school so i haven't been able to go out on the long backpack trips i would have liked. but this year im done so i will be scouting and hunting hard and with a little luck i might get one this year.

6. 3rivers

3rivers Member

Also if you kill a ram you are required to wait a year before you can hunt another, some guys will shoot a barley legal ram every other year, but nobody likes those kinda guys cause they wreck the genetics and population for everyone else.