Any thoughts on a 6.5-284 for sheep hunting?

Discussion in 'Sheep Hunting' started by Timnterra, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Timnterra

Timnterra Well-Known Member

I'm contemplating building a rifle for high altitude mountain backpack hunts for sheep goats and possibly elk. I've already got a remington 700 long action and an HS precision stock I just need to decide on the caliber. I'm leaning towards a 6.5-284 in a 26" #4 profile for lighter weight. I am also considering a .280 AI.

My question in essence is: if you could build the ultimate mountain rifle for deer and sheep size game what would it be? The only cartridge restriction is it must have a standard .473 bolt face

2. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

3. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I went through the same decision process several years ago and went with a 6.5x284. It's predominately a a mule deer, whitetail rifle. Having taken numerous deer with the rifle using 140 VLD's out to about 1000 yards, it's been a remarkably accurate and effective gamegetter. I shoot a 26" Cooper 520 with a #5 fluted barrel, 1:8 twist. Also have a Savage LRH in the same caliber. I won this rifle at a match but it's 24" inch barrel is a tad narrower then the Coopers but shoots just as well with only about a 20FPS difference in velocity using Retumbo. You won't be disappointed with the 6.5x284.

4. Timnterra

That is pretty much exactly what i'm wanting to do. What velocities are you getting with the 140 vld?

5. Greyfox

My velocities are 2970 with an ES of 5-8. I can get up to 3025 with no pressire signs but I get top accuracy and ES a little lower.

6. Timnterra

How much does that Cooper weigh with the #5 26" barrel? Is that about the same contour as a Remington sendero? I was trying to keep the rifle under 10 lbs before scope.

7. Greyfox

It's about.78" and fluted, lighter then the Rem varmint taper at .83". I don't know the weight of the Sendaro. My rifle with scope(Huskemaw 5x20 with Talley 2 pc integral base and rings) is about 10.5#. I really like the extra barrel weight for the stability with the longer range shots that are quite common where I hunt in Wyoming and Alberta every year.