Is there any other rifle in the .338 caliber that can compete with .338 Lapua?

7 mm STW By far you should consider it. You can custom load, and compete with him. Good luck.
You will be surprised.

A brother of mine owns a 338 edge and last week he shot a coyote at 942 yards.... In other words he's real happy with it :)
It is a serious competitor for my dad's .408 cheytac... mostly because he takes more care reloading than my dad :D

My dad owns a Savage 110 BA .338 Lapua. Me and my dad target shoot long range evey weekend. I always try to out shoot him. I don't want to own the same rifle as him. Is there any other .338 caliber rifle that can out shoot his Lapua?

No; not for the money. You can build on another caliber for a maybe, but do you really want to beat your dad with a superior gun (heavy gun for example) or do you want to best him apple to apple? You can always wait for him to get old and feeble, that worked on me lol. ART

My dad owns a Savage 110 BA .338 Lapua. Me and my dad target shoot long range evey weekend. I always try to out shoot him. I don't want to own the same rifle as him. Is there any other .338 caliber rifle that can out shoot his Lapua?

I have a .340 Weatherby Mark V and I think it is under-rated and has a slight advantage over the .338 Lapua. However, you will need the Mark V action (with freebore) and access to older Norma load data. For example, using a 250-gr Hornady loaded to 3.675" OAL, and with 88.5-grains of powder, I get 3015-3020 fps with Norma MRP and Alliant RL 22 respectively and with absolutely no signs of pressure. Accurate showed the same charge weight with Accurate 3100; however it only produces about 2945 fps. Note that this load my not be safe in any non-Weatherby rifle and should therefore not be used. And the best part is, the .340 doesn't have the heavy recoil of the .338-.378 Weatherby.

I built a 338 rum and though it performed great and on par with a lapua , brass life was horrible . Two loadings at best with rem brass. I am looking at building another lr hammer and it will most probably be a 338 Norma. If you are hunting mostly and only shooting the gun occasionly than the rum will be fine.

I don't know if anyone has already said this but, to beat your old man its going to happen with your wind reading skills! Any 338 caliber that's close to the same ballistics as the Lapua will do fine if you work on your wind reading and how to apply it properly. Its that simple at long range. Start working on this aspect and you will do much better over time. My 2 cents.

The way I figure it, there's a reason the military uses certain rounds. That being said, the rifle is only as good as the person behind the trigger. Scott Gallo in Ohio built me a 338 Lapua and I absolutely love it. It's my favorite gun to shoot.

7 mm STW By far you should consider it. You can custom load, and compete with him. Good luck.
You will be surprised.

I've tried telling them that, but nobody wants to listen because everyone thinks you have to have a .338 to shoot over 500 yards.

I have local friends like that, too...So, I'm not singling anybody or any forum out. The .338's are the new craze. And until something bigger and badder comes along, then everyone will want to know how they ever lived without it. :rolleyes:

My vote is definitely for the 7mm STW with the 180 Bergers.

Also, when shooting paper, you don't need knock-down or K.E. So, the faster it is, the better.

If you just don't want a 7mm, then get a 6.5-300 Weatherby if barrel life isn't a concern, and if you want one flat-shooting round.

this thread is about the 338lm he wants a 338 to compete with his dads 338 I'm sure he knows there are other calibers that have the reach but he wants 338 every time someone ask about a certain specific caliber everyone wants to say this caliber is better well is don't matter which is better when you already made your decision... I'm just sayin..

I just built a 338 Norma Mag IMP. on a Stiller TAC 338 Action A4 Mcmillan stock with DBM AI mag. it out shoots most 338 lapua with 300 gr. Bergers using retumbo powder. Fed 215 primers and a Fat Bastard Brake. I am like you and I wanted something besides a 338 lapua. I had customer shoot mine and order one that same day. He liked it so much and he has a 338 Edge. So back to the Lathe. gun)

I built a 340 wby with a 27" barrel that shoots 1/4 MOA I would put it against any LM any day. the gun is 80% the shooter is the important 20% that separates everything. Under 1000 I would just grab my 6.5 and burn very little powder and shoot tiny little groups.

I've been reading all the post about my thread. We've been shooting a lot lately. My dad has sub MOA groups every time we shoot. Every time I shoot my 270 win I have a terrible parallax problem. I think that if I can fix my parallax problem I could hang with him under 500 yrds. After that he would beat me because he has less wind drift. We live in Louisiana right on the gulf coast and those southerly winds are always blowing. I am still doing my research on another caliber besides my 270 win to compete with his 338 Lapua Magnum. I would prefer to buy a big magnum because they just sound the best and my dad say's you ain't chunking lead out there unless it is 300 grain's. By the way he shoots a 300 grain Nosler Acubond. I need all the feed back I can get. Thanks.

Ive got a buddy that shoots a 300 rum with 230 bergers and he is right with me at a mile with my 338 norma pushing the 300 bergers. My suggestion is a 300 norma mag. Or the improved version. The 300 rum wa pushing the 230s at 3000fps and had less elevation, but about the same windage. Worth a look.

There is also nothing wrong with the hornady 285grn amax or hpbt either. Pushing the faster makes up for less bc.

Xdeano

In accordance to what others are saying; to shoot a 338 Lapua, the same as your dad in order to compare apples to apples, I'll say this:

Shoot another factory rifle.
Your dad is shooting a factory Savage 110 BA, so you shouldn't get to build one custom.

You still want your caliber to be "able" to outbest his though, I get that. So I'm here to put another vote in for the .338-378 wby.

Weatherby makes that caliber in the Mark V. That's the best starting point I come up with.

Happy shootin! Fill us in on what you go with.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.