Is there a Downside/Drawback to using Moly bullets

I shot the blue coated Barnes 180 grain TSX in my German 300 Weatherby for a few years in the early 2000's. Took them to Africa and they worked great on large plains game. When Randy came out with the grooved non coated TSX I switched to them. No more need for the coating. Velocities run the same for blue coated vs non coated with grooves. Accuracy is good with either.

I shot the blue coated Barnes 180 grain TSX in my German 300 Weatherby for a few years in the early 2000's. Took them to Africa and they worked great on large plains game. When Randy came out with the grooved non coated TSX I switched to them. No more need for the coating. Velocities run the same for blue coated vs non coated with grooves. Accuracy is good with either.
honestly , only reason I'm using these blue xlc is I have a boatload of them and as hard as it is to get components right now I figured I might as well give them a try maybe ill get a nice surprise and they will work great !

hey guys this may sound like a stupid question but i have alot of moly coated bullets that i want to use but have never used moly coated before, is there a downside to moly? mainly when it comes to barrel life, accuracy and cleaning ? thanks !
There is a downside to Moly; it is slightly hygroscopic. A far better alternative is Hex Boron Nitride. I recommend listening to David Tubb, who is arguably the best, and winningest, competitive rifleman in history. He has won (to date) a record eleven NRA National High Power Rifle Championships. He also sells HBN.

Moly? 15-20 years ago David Tubb and the benchloading crowd were all using it. It was a bit dusty and messy, and required a bit more cleaning, but it did help even our performance extremes, thus improving accuracy! Later it was found that once a new barrel was broken in, moly coating the barrel was almost as good, and virtually no dust or extra cleanup! Just re-coat the barrel ever so often, and barrel life grew by 1/4 or so. I've shot both ways, and prefer the barrel treatment! The only real moly bullet treatment problem I ever saw was with extremely tight chambers!

Stupid question, do the Nosler combined technology bullets fall under this topic?
Not a stupid question at all! But no. They use "lubalox" which is just their name for black copper oxide. Moly is molybdenum disulphided. There's also tungsten disulphide. And hex boron nitride which is almost unchallengeable the best of them all. Well in my opinion anyway.

Not a stupid question at all! But no. They use "lubalox" which is just their name for black copper oxide. Moly is molybdenum disulphided. There's also tungsten disulphide. And hex boron nitride which is almost unchallengeable the best of them all. Well in my opinion anyway.

I like the HbN concept. Question: I have 2 new Shermans a 25S and a 6.5S, both with Bartlein barrels on Terminus actions. Should I HbN the new barrels, or fire them a few rounds first. Not sure about the protocol here.

I don't moly my handgun slugs due to the amount of exposed lead present and the volume of rounds loaded and fired. I don't moly my 223cal stuff because that is one of my family's "happy" rounds that are loaded for happy mag dumps and the type of slug loaded aren't really accuracy slugs. I load approximately 3000 rounds a year of 223Rem.

hey guys this may sound like a stupid question but i have alot of moly coated bullets that i want to use but have never used moly coated before, is there a downside to moly? mainly when it comes to barrel life, accuracy and cleaning ? thanks !
Moly coating was quite the fad a few years back but nowadays I see hardly anybody doing it. I mixed usages of moly and non moly in a 30 cal. It didn't cause any problems. Moly can be cleaned out with solvent, moly requires more powder, takes many fouling shots to settle, no reduction in barrel wear or better accuracy just a couple things I remember from my experience and there are more online informational details too as to build up and causing rust.

there are a few uninformed individuals on this thread concerning coating bullets with molydemon sulfide. To say morons would be a bit harsh, but not by much🙄.
In my experience, moly has a place with higher volume shooting. Accuracy between cleanings due to copper fouling is enhanced 2-3x by using moly in MY varmint AR 15 rifle. Eventually, the barrel MUST be cleaned of burnt powder fouling.
Again, in my experience, powder fouling affected accuracy to a point where my 1/2 moa AR became 1- 1/2 moa @ somewheres betwixt 250 - 300 rounds.
Using moly in hunting guns that see less than a box of ammo per year is pointless if not detrimental. At a minimum its a a waste of time.
Moly will NOT make your rifle more accurate.
It WILL reduce muzzle velocity slightly because the bullet exudes less pressure from less friction.
A slight powder increase will usually get your normal velocity back in short order.
This has been MY real life experience with Moly. I coat my own .22 cal 40 gr vmax bullets with a vibrating tumbler using steel shot. It lengthens time (shots in pd's) between carbon cleaning. If I can wait until the days shooting is done, then I'll clean at my leisure after supper, and NOT when I'm messing with my smokepole in the middle of a target-rich environment.
But you all can do what suits you...after all, its your gun and your time.

Nosler, with Winchester used to make these 165 gr Failsafe bullets, they were black Moly coated,shot tiny groups, stuff shot with em just went down. That coating was in the barrel, if ya lookD close after cleaning, just a touch of copper N black. They quit making em, not sure why, but they were awesome in a 300 Ultra Mag! Used all the boxes of em had left, wish they made more.

I think one of the more satisfying days I have had in LR shooting came the day I decided to quit molying bullets after 6yrs. Trips to the dumpster with the goodies just felt better and better with each one.
I had a streamlined system, a nice Lortone Tumbler, used Denatured alcohol instead of water, great colander to collect bullets and recapture the slurry. But it took 3 days to do 3-4K bullets, a giant time suck.
It seems today to make a claim, you are required to have documented data to back it up, not my style, but I do think moly bullets extended my shot strings, and extended barrel life, But now that I am older, I find that it is not worth my time and effort.
Another plus here for not doing, is not having a big garbage bag full of last yrs t-shirts and underwear here in the garage to wipe the bullets down after the process, or storing a huge roll of freezer paper to protect the surfaces of my reloading table. Or throwing away a shirt with 2 uses because of moly splatter.
OP, retain what sanity you have and abandon this madness, buy naked bullets, load them up, take your kids or grandkids shooting more often with the time savings.