cleaning moly bullets

winmagman

I was going through some supplies last night and found a box of moly coated A-max bullets (no idea where they came from).Is there any way to get the moly coating off of these bullets? Everything else I shoot is non-moly and I no desire to go the moly route.
Thanks in advance
Chris

Winmagman,
I have used moly in the past and coated a lot of bullets until I learned of the undesirable effect it has on barrels the hard way.

Well, never again will I use moly!! To remove the moly I tried a lot of things and what worked for me was a can of "Brakleen" brake parts cleaner you can pick up in auto parts stores like NAPA or Schucks, get the red can.

When using Brakleen make sure to wear rubber gloves and please do it outside. the stuff is pretty potent!!

Lay your bullets on a rag,
Spray Brakleen liberally on the bullets, place another rag on top and roll the bullets around, should get most of the gunk off.
Then I tumble the bullets in a brass tumbler with corn cob media.

Hope this helps, it works for me..

proman1,

I am curious as to what the "undesirable effect it has on barrels" is.

I have shot thousands and thousands of moly coated bullets from my custom heavy varmint rigs and have yet to experience a single problem. All of bullets were moly coated with the NECO kit.

VH

Forgot to mention; moly can easily be removed from bullets by tumbling in walnut (or similar) media. No chemicals, no mess & no fumes.

[ 06-02-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

Thanks guys.
I've heard it isn't the moly so much that is undesirable but the wax or other agents that bullet makers use to get the moly to stick.
I've also been told, by a pretty reputable barrel maker, that for break in running a couple of moly coated patches down the bore before the first shot will nearly double barrel life.

I'll try the tumbling first if that doesn't work I'll do the Brakleen thing.
Chris

[ 06-02-2004: Message edited by: winmagman ]

< I've also been told, by a pretty reputable barrel maker, that for break in running a couple of moly coated patches down the bore before the first shot will nearly double barrel life. >

And your gas mileage will increase at the same magnitude...
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.