Is the 7x61 Super Brass too thin for Improvement? Maybe the 6.5mm?

Wild Monkey

347782436_1539725396556203_3928502070023263230_n.jpg

Unless your image is from a wildcat, you should see the proper case dimensions:

1686657633826.png

The 44 degree shoulder is the original angle not the 30 degree you illustrate.

Is the 7x61 Super Brass too thin for Improvement? Maybe the 6.5mm?

There is really no need for any 'improvement' if you are referring to changing the shoulder angle. 44 degrees is more than sufficient. You could reduce the case taper slightly but this case works well as is.

One of the very early wildcats created by Dr. Ramon Somavia is the .257 Condor or the 7x61 Super necked down to accept the .25 caliber bullets. He used it for long range hunting.

1686658036778.png

Here is the link to the background story:

https://cartridgecollector.net/cartridge/257-condor/

I have made and shot the .257 Condor and the 6.5x61 Super wildcat. The case capacity is ideal for most bullet weights and several powders. No it's not a super magnum but for hunting, the 7x61 original case and the two above prove to be excellent choices.

Enjoy the process!

:)

sable tireur "improving' is not restricted to shoulder angle. My design incorporates a wider "improved" shoulder width out to half an inch. The wider shoulder is an effort to improve the efficiency of the powder burn. (yes it's a Wildcat design, it's what I do). Thanks for posting the info as it gives those unaware of this excellent cartridge a great introduction. Necking this original case design down has proven to be an excellent concept, but that's not really what I consider a genuine Wildcat. I've never been one to just copy other peoples designs when it comes to Wildcats anyway = boring. You've got admit the 7 - SUPER illustration shows one dandy looking Cartridge design.

Mikecr
When Norma came out with the Super brass they made the case less thick so it would hold more powder to compete with the RM. That's where the name "Super" originally comes from.

Has anyone ever read of an improved 7x61 S&H using Norma Super brass have case ruptures?

Thanks for the reply's!! Keep them coming.

While I am honest and upright in character, I stopped giving reloading data on the internet quite a while back.

Mikecr
When Norma came out with the Super brass they made the case less thick so it would hold more powder to compete with the RM. That's where the name "Super" originally comes from.
I would think you'd have brass in-hand, seat a bullet, and confirm the drawing.
Or just measure the thickness.
Either at 28cal.
It will get thicker at 26cal and tapering thicker as you go down the case.