Is the .243 win on the way out?

Here's my take on the 243: The old timers are always going to have one because that's what they grew up with. However, the younger generations are going to push for the 6mm Creedmoor and other newer alternatives. End of the day if you're established with a 243 already stay with it. However, if you're starting out new you would be a fool not to go to one of the newer 6mms on the market such as the Creedmoor. I have 3 6mms currently: A 243, 6mm Creedmoor, and a 6x47 Lapua. The 243 is due for a rebarrel next year. That will be rebarreled to a 6mm Creedmoor because I already have the dies. End of the day the 6mm Creedmoor is an upgrade over the old 243. The brass and aftermarket support is there for it too now.
Whether right or wrong, so much truth in what you said. I have been on a 6mm kick for 5+ yrs, no creed or 243, I did some things with a 6XC that amazed myself. Today, I wish the 110 Sierra had been out when I shot 6 Comp Match.

Never owned a 243 or a 30-06. I do own a two shiny new 25 CMs, 6.5 CM, 25 PRC and a 6.5 PRC. I first started with a 270 then went to a 270 WSM. The 270 WSM is now a 1-8 twist shooting the 170 EOLs near 3100. Never been one to go with the traditional. Even the 270 I bought at 14 as my first deer rifle in 1976 was not approved of by my father because it was not a 30-06. I like classic cars but they need to perform like a newer car; upgrade with newer parts. So if I ever did go with a 243 it would have to be improved. We are all wired a little differently. Not wrong but we have different personalities/motivations. That being said, the only need I would have for a 243 is for the short action to build something else.

The 30.06 will die and become obsolete well before the 243 or 270.

I have heard statements like this concerning, pick your favorite Love to hate cartridge, for who knows how long.

As stated by another posting, as far as hunting is concerned these rounds will be with us for several generations to come.

There is always a prettier girl, or a faster gun. The stalwarts always remain, not the most exotic, or exciting enough to capture the cover of the gun of the month magazine. They are used in the field every year, helping beginner and veteran hunter alike fill the freezer or decorate the wall.

Yes, I own and a 30/06, for everything from Prairie Dogs, to Elk.

there is a bunch of us that were shooting the 6.5 creed magnum before the creedmoor was around we just called it a 260 ackley
Cool where can I buy one off the rack and who makes ammo for it? If the corporatists leadership at Remington Arms had half the gun sense Hornady exhibits then Remington would have come up with with a 243AI offering and built rifles with faster twist barrels for it.

Cool where can I buy one off the rack and who makes ammo for it? If the corporatists leadership at Remington Arms had half the gun sense Hornady exhibits then Remington would have come up with with a 243AI offering and built rifles with faster twist barrels for it.
I think the same.
Most of the big manufacturers have a laziness to change that is surprising.
They have assured successes to standardize on SAAMI, as is the 243ai, and they do not take advantage of it, as Nosler took advantage of with the 280ai.

Hi all, every 2 months it seems someone posts a "is the .270 dying" post (and is met with an emphatic "NO!") but I don't actually see much talk about the plain vanilla .243 Winchester, either of it's popularity or lack thereof.

the 6mms are in general a bit more of a "love it or hate it" cartridge family, neither fish nor fowl, over and underestimated, some regarding them as little more than the .22 centerfires and some regarding them able to do anything the bigger diameters can do, both probably wrong (according to me anyway :) ) - for a long time where I live the .243 was the minimum legal caliber for big game hunting and I personally feel changing that was a mistake, gotta draw a line somewhere and that made sense - there's also lots of shots I've taken with my .270 that I would have opted to pass on with my .243.

but with the advent of rounds like the 6 creedmoor and the advent of truly high bc 224" projectiles and cartridges to launch them fast along with the ever rising popularity of the 6.5s which some could argue don't recoil notably more, I wonder if many will be questioning the point of the old .243 win with its now anathema stubby neck and gentle shoulders and less than extreme twist rates.

any big .243 fans or shooters on here?

what do you think the future holds for this old workhorse?
I think it's like the Cummins engine in the Dodge/Ram Truck. Maybe not the most powerful, but definitely the MOST reliable. If it aint broke-don't fix it.
I think the lil .243 will stand the test of time.

At 74 and still ticking the 243 has Been the rifle we started with as a center fire and our first deer rifle.
At 8 years old my Dad had me shooting out to 300 yards. When the season opened I shot my first deer at 60 yards. My Dad was walking on Cloud 9.
That 243 has been used by my son to get his 1st as have several grandkids. I built a 243AI with 1-10 twist 20 years past. It's a great rifle. Last month I ordered a new stainless 700 reciever, Hart Barrel 1-7.5, HS Precision stock and jewel trigger. Being built by Gruning Precision as my new LR prairie dog- varmint-long range rifle. 243 AI. The 243 is a caliber that everyone sometime in their life SHOULD OWN. WHY? Because any where in backcountry USA a store in BF Egypt will have a box of 243 when you forget and leave your bullets back home 2,000 mile away. That an anyone young or old can learn to shoot it accurately. I have't Had any thing I've shot at walk away or live to complain. SEMPER FEDELIS

Hi all, every 2 months it seems someone posts a "is the .270 dying" post (and is met with an emphatic "NO!") but I don't actually see much talk about the plain vanilla .243 Winchester, either of it's popularity or lack thereof.

the 6mms are in general a bit more of a "love it or hate it" cartridge family, neither fish nor fowl, over and underestimated, some regarding them as little more than the .22 centerfires and some regarding them able to do anything the bigger diameters can do, both probably wrong (according to me anyway :) ) - for a long time where I live the .243 was the minimum legal caliber for big game hunting and I personally feel changing that was a mistake, gotta draw a line somewhere and that made sense - there's also lots of shots I've taken with my .270 that I would have opted to pass on with my .243.

but with the advent of rounds like the 6 creedmoor and the advent of truly high bc 224" projectiles and cartridges to launch them fast along with the ever rising popularity of the 6.5s which some could argue don't recoil notably more, I wonder if many will be questioning the point of the old .243 win with its now anathema stubby neck and gentle shoulders and less than extreme twist rates.

any big .243 fans or shooters on here?

what do you think the future holds for this old workhorse?
The 270 and 243 win is dying out indeed. In about 50 more years there will only be about 100,000 rifles of each of those calibers still in existence. Just kidding, but seriously it will take a long long time for them to go away. How long has the 30-30 been around and they are still selling cartridges & rifles.

Love the 243 have two and not to long ago bought #3 mine are slow twist but I can see a Fast twist easy enuff. It's parent is the Great 308 maybe you heard of it ,NO it's staying and raising up another Family of mor 243's , Cheers !

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.