is it this easy?

spladi

Ran into a buddy yesterday and of course we talked guns. He remarked that he had a .257 Roberts but could find no ammo or brass for it. Just so happened a few years back I owned a Rem. 6mm VLS model 700. I do have a bag of new brass , 50 or so. I was checking around on the interweb and quickly found that the 6mm Rem and the 257 Roberts cases are just about the same, both being derived from the 7mm Mauser case. My question is can it be that easy to just load the 6mm case (after necking up to .255) into the Roberts gun and fireform it, anybody done it ?

7x57 -257 rob or 6mm brass will all work just trim too length after sizing and check neck thickness and clearance for the bullet in the chamber's throat 6mm should be fine but if you neck down 7x57 you may need too turn the necks .
I always neck up 6mm brass to avoid the neck turning for my 257. 7x57 brass is plentiful so its a non issue for me.

My favorite 257 Roberts, started life as a 788 in 6 mm Remington, a simple barrel change and re-chambering and all was right with the world. It really is as easy as you're asking, it's a fine cartridge, easy on the shoulder and hard on game, and it's fun to shoot!

My favorite 257 Roberts, started life as a 788 in 6 mm Remington, a simple barrel change and re-chambering and all was right with the world. It really is as easy as you're asking, it's a fine cartridge, easy on the shoulder and hard on game, and it's fun to shoot!
My dad helped me build a custom 257 rob 25 plus yers ago , wow doe's time fly .The first year I hunted with it I killed 11 different game animals and turkeys shooting the Barnes 100 gr . My hunting buddy called me the Shootist .My hunting buddy also shot a turkey in the head at nearly 200 yds .