Easy resizing

Natty Bumpo

I have a handful of factory rifles and one custom rig in 6.5X47. Running my 6.5X47 Lapua brass through the full length resizer takes hardly any effort at all. Is this due to the rifle having a tight chamber that doesn't allow the brass to expand much? I generally feel more resistance when resizing other cartridges for my factory rifles.

In addition, the 6.5X47 brass doesn't seem to grow much at all. Most of the other cartridges I reload need occasional trimming. After 3 loadings on the 6.5X47, it's barely longer than when I started. Match chamber again?

You must be running moderate loads, and that's a good thing. How easy is your bolt lift, extraction, and re-chambering?

Eventually, you'll have to bump shoulders. That's always sad.

MikeCr:
I'm running a 123 grain scenar at 2,798 ft/s using 37.2 gr of Re15. It's not a real hot load. Bolt lift, extraction, and rechambering are all easy.

I am using a full length sizing die, so I expect I'm bumping the shoulders a bit already. I screw the die down to the shell holder and then back it off about a 1/2 turn. I check that the first couple brass will chamber in the rifle. They always do, so I don't bother tightening the die any further.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts